Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer web page gone

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 peanutsnana

peanutsnana

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:33 PM

My son has a laptop that he is having issuues with.  He asked if I could help him get it running again.  He has registered with you before but can't remember his password.

He can't log into Internet Explorer.  His web page comes up and says his "proxy server" is bad.  We have tried to log on in Safe Mode.  Nothing.  He has tried to do a restore point, but it adds back all of the malware we deleted last night.  I don't know if there is anyway you can help, since we can't get to you thru his computer. 

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Sherry

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2014 - 07:03 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 half_slice7

half_slice7

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:46 PM

I think there is still set a proxy server in the browser. You'll have to remove them.

Follow theses steps:

Open Internet Explorer, click "Tools" and then click "Internet Options."

Click the "Connections" tab and then click on "LAN Settings."

Uncheck the box marked "Use a proxy server for this connection" and then hit the "OK" button.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

- Mike Tyson 

#3 peanutsnana

peanutsnana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:36 PM

I did the above steps and it's trying to hook up to Yahoo.  That was the page he uses for his home page.  But it just keeps telling us "Waiting for yahoo.com"

#4 half_slice7

half_slice7

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:32 PM

OK. maybe the system seems to be still infected. I suggest a Mod should move this into the virus board.

In your case I would first run ComboFix and see what the result is. You can post the log here.

- Mike Tyson 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

OK. maybe the system seems to be still infected. I suggest a Mod should move this into the virus board.

In your case I would first run ComboFix and see what the result is. You can post the log here.

ComboFix and other malware tools...are not used in this forum and should not be posted here.

See No Malware Logs In This Forum .

Louis

#6 half_slice7

half_slice7

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:50 PM

Ups sorry. I thought you would move the thread to the right forum. My fault...

- Mike Tyson 

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:58 PM

The problem with moving a thread that has replies to it...to the Malware Removal Logs forum...is that such replies are of no value in that forum and would have to be deleted by someone before the topic would be properly picked up.  If the replies are left, they would simply falsely indicate that the malware topic is being worked by someone (because it would reflect x number of replies).

It's much simpler...and better, administratively, if the OP initiates a new topic with the logs requested in Steps 6-8 of Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html and pastes the requested DDS log into the new topic.  New topic to be initiated in the same forum containing the Prep Guide.

Once that is done, this topic will be closed and the OP should follow the instructions given within that forum, in the new topic.

One other alternative exists if malware is suspected...this topic can be be moved to the Am I Infected forum and the folks there can take a look.  Again, the logs described cannot be posted in that forum...they have a different set of tools which they use there.

Topic moved to Am I Infected.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#8 peanutsnana

peanutsnana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

How do I run Combofix when we can't get online with his computer?

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:51 PM

You have 3 topics about the same issue.

This one and one other are being closed to prevent confusion.

The one being left open is  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/548164/sons-computer-cannot-connect-to-his-homepage/

Even though it has been 2 days since you asked about Combofix I will answer your question: You don't run Combofix unless a member of the Malware Removal Team advises you to run it. Combofix is a powerful tool that should only be used under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 13 September 2014 - 05:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users