Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry Is Locked

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OSAVE

OSAVE

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 12:28 PM

Hello
I have tryed to load a new microsoft program for desktop search and when it gets to changing registry is says it is locked and unloads program. Also my Task Manager's top menu is missing how can I get it back
Thanks for any help you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bladerunr

Bladerunr

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 01:09 PM

As far as your registry being locked goes my guess would be that you are trying to install or run it under a guest or limited account. Have you tried installing and running it under an administrator account?

For Your task Manger:
When you open Task Manager, the top-level menus and the tabs may be missing. This is because Task Manager is running in tiny foot-print mode. To change to default view and get the menu options back, double-click the border of the Task Manager.
Hope this helps :thumbsup:

Mod Edit: Removed URL to commercial site. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 07 June 2006 - 11:31 PM.

#3 OSAVE

OSAVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2006 - 04:34 PM

Hi Bladerunr
Thank you for the task manager that fixed it. On the registry I am the administrator, but it's only when I try to install Microsoft Desktop search 3v. that it says it is locked. I installed v2.05.01 it was ok. Maybe its something with Microsoft?
thanks
George

Edited by OSAVE, 07 June 2006 - 06:47 PM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 05:01 AM

Hi OSAVE.
Ver.3 is beta, which speaks for itself. :thumbsup:
Here is what MS says about it :

Since this release does not provide a full desktop search experience, users of earlier versions of Windows Desktop Search should not upgrade to this release unless directed to by Outlook 2007, OneNote 2007 or another application.

If you want to upgrade to ver. 2.6.5, that's here.

#5 fireboy

fireboy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 08 June 2006 - 09:04 AM

Yes, our programmers have run into this problem too. You must lock certain parts of the registry to edit them. When they have been edited, you must release them. If the person who coded your program did not release the lock, then the next attempt to edit the registry will fail. Sounds like bad code to me. Nothing you can do about that.

#6 OSAVE

OSAVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:14 PM

Thanks all you've been very helpful. Sometimes its the little thing that drive you up the wall. :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users