Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dds will not run

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 intruded_a_lot

intruded_a_lot

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

Hi, I have some ongoing issues with my computer and I suspect malware or a *kit. Downloaded dds from this site, file is dds.com (?) Moved to desktop and started dds. A dialog stated that dds was not meant to be run in compatibility mode and would close. The properties on dds file do not show a Compatibility tab. Can anyone help? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hello, 

DDS is not compatible with Windows 8.1. Furthermore, diagnostic logs such as DDS are not permitted in this section. 

You have a choice; proceed with assistance in this section, or create a topic in the Malware Removal section, where more advanced tools are permitted. 

Posted Image

#3 intruded_a_lot

intruded_a_lot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thanks LiquidTension.  I was planning to post dds log in Malware removal forum, just was not sure where to ask about dds fail.

Will post in other forum.

Regards.

#4 LiquidTension

LiquidTension

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:47 PM

OK, you're welcome. 

In your topic, concisely explain the issues you are experiencing, and mention that your Operating System is Windows 8.1. 

Posted Image

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:56 PM

sUBs has recently advised that he is holding off releasing any working version of his tools for Windows 8.1 which includes both ComboFix and DDS. Meaning he is fully aware of the compatibility issue but needs time for thorough testing to ensure it works safely on that OS.

Try this instead.

Please download RSIT by random/random from the link provided for your operating system and save it to your desktop.This tool needs to run while the computer is connected to the Internet. If you get a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding RSIT attempting to contact the Internet, please allow the connection.
  • Close all applications and windows so that you have nothing open and are at your Desktop.
  • Double-click on RSIT.exe to start the program.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Read the disclaimer and click Continue.
  • When the scan is complete, a text file named log.txt will automatically open in Notepad.
  • Another text file named info.txt will open minimized.
  • Save the log files to your desktop and copy/paste the contents of log.txt by highlighting everything and pressing Ctrl+C.
  • After highlighting, right-click, choose Copy and then paste the contents into a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here.
  • Copies of both log files are automatically saved in the C:\RSIT folder which the tool creates during the scan.
Important: Be sure to mention that you tried to follow the Prep Guide but were unable to get DDS to run because you are using Windows 8.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 intruded_a_lot

intruded_a_lot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:56 PM

Thank Beepin Janitor! 

Did not see this until now.  I just posted to this forum because I had no *log* and my query at Malware Removal Forum was probablty destined to be unanswered w/o one.

The post in this forum involves Windows update fail and dnscache poisoning (?) despite being flushed repeatedly -- as well as issues cited in Malware forum.  Sorry for double post.

I will follow your directions and please remove my poost to this forum if you feel appropriate.

Regards.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

I see you started a new topic here in the Malware Removal Logs forum. You can edit that topic and add your RSIT log (log.txt). Let me know when that has been done and I will close this topic.

I noted you posted a reply to that topic which I have removed. Please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

I also you started another new topic here. Your update issue may or may not be related to malware. After posting for assistance in the Malware Removal Logs forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer. As such I am closing that topic until the Malware Response Team have verified your system as clean.

#8 intruded_a_lot

intruded_a_lot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:57 PM

quietman7,

Thanks for your instructions. 

Regards.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,596 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

You're welcome.

Since you made a second reply instead of editing your first reply to include the RSIT log...I went ahead and did that for you. Then I removed your second reply so it would not be overlooked.

Again, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your system as clean.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Good luck with your log.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users