Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Computer no longer recognizes my HP Printer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 maxcalvada

maxcalvada

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:37 AM

Dell Dimension 4550 PC

HP psc 750xi

Just got a new B&W cartridge.  After re-connecting Printer to PC, I get a balloon message saying "USB Device not recognized....has malfunctioned."  When I click on balloon for more details, I get "USB Root Hub(2 ports) and underneath that: "-unused port" and "-unknown device."  This printer and PC worked fine previously.  Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

Hi,

Sounds like you need to go into the device manager and uninstall / delete all of the old information so that when you boot up the next time with the printer connected it will find it and select the correct drivers.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 maxcalvada

maxcalvada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

Dick - I went to the Device Manager, but at that point don't understand what I should Uninstall/Delete?  Can you give me more details on this?

Thanks!

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:11 PM

Look for any yellow triangles and resolve them - usually an uninstall or disable will do the trick

Find everything in the USB list that mentions printers and disable or uninstall them

Reboot with the printer connected and turned on

tell us what happens

Dick E

#5 maxcalvada

maxcalvada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 12:25 PM

Look for any yellow triangles and resolve them - usually an uninstall or disable will do the trick

Find everything in the USB list that mentions printers and disable or uninstall them

Reboot with the printer connected and turned on

tell us what happens

I don't see any yellow triangles on my Device Manager.  I took a snapshot of it, but this website doesn't apparently take attachments.  Is there another way I can do that?

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

Click on 'More Reply Options' in the lower right corner

Use one of the clip board icons to paste your content into the message

Keep us posted

Dick E

#7 maxcalvada

maxcalvada
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hit the paste option which asked me to past into a little box.  I hit reply and I get this message: "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."  I tried it as Bitmap, JPEG and GIF(as GIF, it's all darkened and impossible to read clearly).

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:35 PM

The Printer at USB should be connected to the computer so you could use the uninstall or scan for hardware changes option. Use also a different USB port preferably at the back of your desktop.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users