Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Using 25% of CPU even when Idling causing computer to run slow

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Amna Umen

Amna Umen

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

Good morning,

This problem is regarding a computer with the following specs

Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

CPU - Intel Core i3 3240 @ 3.40GHz 38 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology

RAM - 8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard - Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. H61M-USB3H (Intel Core i3-3240 CPU @ 3.40GHz) 28 °C

Graphics - S200HQL (1600x900@60Hz)
Intel HD Graphics (Gigabyte)

Storage - 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1CH162 ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C

Optical Drives - TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB ATA Device

Audio - Realtek High Definition Audio

-----------------------------------------

My coworker has been complaining about a slow running computer for a bit now. Every small action has suddenly for no reason started to take a while to complete. I've already run an AVG scan in safe mode and Malwarebytes in regular mode and the problem has not fixed itself. When looking at his task manager I noticed that his CPU is running at 25% even when nothing is going on, more specifically it is the system process that is causing the overuse of the CPU. It should be noted that I have had problems with two of the usb ports cutting out intermittently. The solution was just to just not use those ports but reading into other problems on this forum I figured I should mention this. Any help on this would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

-AU

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2014 - 12:09 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

Is this computer used in a business application only, or is it used as a personal computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Amna Umen

Amna Umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:52 AM

Is this computer used in a business application only, or is it used as a personal computer?

Business. Is that a problem?

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

Nope not a problem just gathering information.  Home use is usually more risky then business use since after all you are supposed to be working not playing when at work.

Can you post screen shots of Task Managers Performance tab and Processes tab for review?

BTW failing hardware as in usb ports is not a good sign concerning the hardware.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

No, it is not a problem.  If it is used for business this usually means that downloaded programs are not allowed.  This helps me know that the possibility of this being malware related is less likely.

You do not need to quote my posts.  If there are others adding suggestions, then it would be appropriate to include quotes.

In the Task Manager look at Processes to see what is running and list these.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Amna Umen

Amna Umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

thanks for your quick responses, I have attached the images requested.

As far as downloaded programs we only download programs that are needed but one that I saw that was downloaded that caught my eye was TinEye reverse image search. Now I haven't found anything that labels it as malware but I'm extremely skeptical with anything I download.

I also forgot to mention in my first post that I ran a 1 minute Windows Performance Recorder session and upon viewing it I saw that the CPU was logging a new process from "system" approximately every millisecond for the entire duration of the recording.

Attached File  GG Processes.jpg   93.96KB   0 downloads

Attached File  GG performance.jpg   246.35KB   0 downloads

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,804 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

TinEye is a Google Chrome addon.

In what is visible in the Processes image I don't see anything really unusual.

Please download AdwCleaner and install it.

When AdwCleaner opens you will see an image like the one below.

adwcleaner11_zps48314883.png

Click on Scan to start the scan.

Once the search is complete a list of the pending items will be displayed.  If you see any which you do not want removed, remove the check mark next to it.  

Click on Clean to remove the selected items.  If you have any questions about any items in the list please copy and paste the list in your topic so we can review it.  

You will receive a message telling you that all programs will be closed so that the infections can be removed.  Click on OK.

When the cleaning process is complete a log of what was removed will be presented.  Please copy and the paste this log in your topic.

Please download Junkware Removal Tool.

Open your browser and go to Downloads, then click on the Junkware Removal Tool to install it.  

Click on Run to initiate the installation.

To avoid potential conflicts, temporarily disable your antivirus and firewall.  You will want to be offline when you do this.

Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select Run as Administrator.

The tool will open and start scanning your system.

Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.

On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.  Copy and this and then post this in your topic.

#8 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

In what is visible in the Processes image I don't see anything really unusual.

Wrong. Look at the "System" process... It's using whole core of the CPU. Seems like a faulty driver to me.

@Amna Umen

Download Process Explorer and run it.

Right click on a "System" process and select Properties.

Switch to the Threads tab and sort the list by CPU usage (by clicking on the CPU column), then make a screenshot of this window and post it here.

Edited by Pocket Pocket, 11 September 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#9 Amna Umen

Amna Umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

Ok I won't be able to do any work on the computer until tomorrow but I will update the topic then.

#10 Amna Umen

Amna Umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:35 AM

Ran ADW and JRT nothing but the usual Chrome add-ons to take out. It was in the process explorer that I found a pecuilar little instance called xhcdrv.sys running at 25%. Doing a quick Duck Duck Go search yielded that there are other people out there who have problems with cores getting eaten by this bug. Here is the screen shot.

PKwq25w.png

I have the whole list of drivers that can be updated but would rather not spend my Friday updating all of them. Any idea which the key one would be? thanks for all of the help everyone.

#11 Pocket Pocket

Pocket Pocket

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:22 PM

Update your USB 3.0 driver. This should solve the problem :)

HERE's the newest version from Gigabyte's website.

Edited by Pocket Pocket, 12 September 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#12 Amna Umen

Amna Umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:26 PM

Problem fixed, thanks so much for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users