Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beware of a popup showing a need to upgrade Google Chrome

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MtnClmbr

MtnClmbr

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

I clicked on it and before I was finished, it had installed Panda Antivirus Program and a few other files.  It took me half an hour to uninstall all the garbage.  Panda Antivirus IS a virus!!!

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2014 - 10:03 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CANTFINDANAME

CANTFINDANAME

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:21 AM

wow. but you shouldn't always click on pop-ups

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

Properly using NotScripts in Chrome would likely of prevented that popup from displaying.

NotScripts - Chrome Web Store

A clever extension that provides a high degree of 'NoScript' like control of javascript, iframes, and plugins on Google Chrome.

NotScripts gives you a high degree of "NoScript" like control over what javascript, iframes, and plugins runs in your browser to increase security and lower the CPU usage. It is useful to help mitigate some attacks like certain cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerabilities and drive by downloads by blocking the third-party content before it even runs with it's default deny policy.

Adblock Plus is another add-on I would recommend for Chrome. Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store

There may be something else lurking in your Chrome that caused the popup. Suggest you do this:

Resetting your browser settings will reset the unwanted changes caused by installing other programs. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be cleared or changed.

Reset your browser settings:

1. Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings and find the "Reset browser settings” section.
  4. Click Reset browser settings.
  5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset. Note: When the "Help make Google Chrome better by reporting the current settings" checkbox is selected you are anonymously sending Google your Chrome settings. Reporting these settings allows us to analyze trends and work to prevent future unwanted settings changes.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:21 PM

Other Resources to help prevent advertisements & block websites:
How To Block advertisements in Firefox, Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Opera
BlockSite
Block Unwanted Ads with Custom MVPS Hosts File
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 valley_nomad

valley_nomad

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:34 PM

Rule no. 1: NEVER updating software by clicking the popup. ALWAYS manually start the process -- i.e. starting the updating WITHIN the software that needs the update.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

It's also not a good practice to allow every program to perform automatic updates. In most cases it's best to choice the option to be advised of an update and be allowed to decide when to download it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users