Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup message: "Victim of an illegal activity, WARNING (1x2011)"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jarmac

Jarmac

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:16 AM

I have a client computer with a strange message. About two weeks ago, we did some malware cleanup on it and ran a repair installation. The client brought it back to us today because they were getting this message on the user accounts screen:

Victim of an illegal activity, WARNING (1x2011)

You might be in possession of stolen property which could result in you being named in a criminal indictment.

This computer's location has been reported, logged, and your identity along with your personal information has just been transmitted to the proper authorities. You must contact the owner of this computer within 48 hours to prevent from being named in the indictment.

[Street Address]

[City], [Province] [Country] [Postal Code]

[Phone Number]

MachineKey:

3CR03507BC-106798720002718-00359-OEM-8992687-5E2E9175-160DE501-(E324386-438BA32)

Name: 3CR03507BC-106798720002718

CDKey: [I should probably leave this out]

Serial#: 359779

[OK button]

After clicking OK, it proceeds to the login screen as normal, then the computer BSODs after about 30 seconds.

I haven't been able to find much information on this message. It looks like some kind of ransomware. We haven't run any malware scans yet. Has anyone seen anything like this?

The computer is an HP Omni100 AIO with Windows 7 Home Premium.

EDIT: I found some more information. This is a rental computer. We've contacted the phone number in the message, which belongs to EasyHome. They told us they put that software on the computer to lock out people who haven't paid their bills.

Edited by Jarmac, 11 September 2014 - 09:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:06 PM

Easyhome is one of the largest merchandise lease companies in the U.S. and Canada. They deal with furniture, appliances, computers and all sorts of electronics....usually rent to own.

Not much we can do about this since it's a issue between the company and their customer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Jarmac

Jarmac
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

I thought as much. Thanks for the response.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif