Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bootloader gone :(

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 CANTFINDANAME

CANTFINDANAME

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:29 AM

I have two os's in my internal drive, a windows 7 and an xp. Now my brother owned a laptop but no hdd's so i bought a new drive and installed in my pc so i can install an os to it (i used my pc because there is also no cd rom drives in the laptop) i finished installing the os, which is windows xp by the way. Now i know that shouldn't have installed an older version of windows after installing a newer one, but i didnt know that it was gonna write the boot files on the drive i booted from, i thought it was going to write the boot files on the destination drive. so now bootmanager only sees two os's, the old xp and the new xp but no window 7.

is there something i could do to restore the old boot files?

can anyone help me pleease :(( i'd be forever grateful

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

Hello, and Welcome This may work but I can't make any promises.

Download and install EasyBCD. It's free for home use. Run the program. You may have to install .NET Framework 2 in order to run it.

Click the BCD deployment button on the left. Under MBR configuration Options click the Install the Windows Vista/7 bootloader to the MBR then click the Write MBR button.

Reboot. You should be able to boot to Windows 7

If you do not have a XP entry, that can be fixed later.

#3 CANTFINDANAME

CANTFINDANAME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:41 AM

Hi! :))

okay, I'll try that, thank you so much, but how can i fix the no xp entry thingy? haha

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

There are so many things wrong with this set up that I barely know where to begin, so I'll keep it short and sweet.

Under normal circumstances with a dual boot XP & 7 system, if 7's MBR get's wiped out, you need only put the Win 7 installation or repair disc in, boot up and do a Start up repair and Windows will write the MBR automatically.

In this particular case with two drives and 3 systems, lord only knows where all the MBR's are, so the automatic Startup repair might not even work, in which case, you'll have to be a bit more forceful and use EasyBCD as suggested in the post above.

Lastly, if that XP system that you installed on your PC for your brother's laptop actually works without bluescreening, then you're one lucky camper.

XP isn't a very forgiving system about hardware drivers. Nevertheless, to avoid issues of this nature, never install an OS into any computer with more than one hard drive connected, otherwise the MBR might get written to the wrong drive.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:44 AM

If there is no XP entry, you will have to download and run EasyBCD in Windows 7. Then select the Add Entry Button to the left. Under the Windows tab, select XP in the dropdown box. If there is a checkmark next to automatically detect drive leave it checked. Then press add entry. Reboot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:46 AM

okay, I'll try that, thank you so much, but how can i fix the no xp entry thingy? haha

Just when I thought I understood.....

Is it the Win 7 or XP MBR that you're missing?

All is well in Paradise.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

I believe the OP is missing the Windows Boot Manager. When writing a new MBR, I am not sure if the XP entry in the Windows BCD will be gone. If it is, then it can be added using EasyBCD.

#8 CANTFINDANAME

CANTFINDANAME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:02 AM

its windows 7 sir :(

btw, do you know anyway how to make the other drive's installed os to work on the laptop, thanks

#9 CANTFINDANAME

CANTFINDANAME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

If there is no XP entry, you will have to download and run EasyBCD in Windows 7. Then select the Add Entry Button to the left. Under the Windows tab, select XP in the dropdown box. If there is a checkmark next to automatically detect drive leave it checked. Then press add entry. Reboot.

thanks so much, you've really been a great help :))

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:08 AM

btw, do you know anyway how to make the other drive's installed os to work on the laptop, thanks

From your first post it sounds like you tried to install XP on a hard drive attached to your computer and then install it to the laptop, correct? If that is the case you would never be able to get it to work because of hardware differences between your computer and the laptop. You can install XP to the laptop using a USB flash drive. Let me know if this is something you want to do. Just to let you know, XP is no longer supported and there are security issues with it. You might want to think about installing something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 September 2014 - 10:11 AM.

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

This is what I would do for starters.

Unplug your brother's hard drive.

Boot up your PC with a Win 7 installation or repair disc. Do the automatic startup repair and you'll have your Win7 MBR back.

That would take care of your machine.

For your brother's machine in XP, you pretty much have to install the system on his machine or it's not going to work, so if he doesn't have a DVD in his laptop, you may need to pick up an external USB DVD like this.

All is well in Paradise.

#12 CANTFINDANAME

CANTFINDANAME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:20 AM

From your first post it sounds like you tried to install XP on a hard drive attached to your computer and then install it to the laptop, correct? If that is the case you would never be able to get it to work because of hardware differences between your computer and the laptop. You can install XP to the laptop using a USB flash drive. Let me know if this is something you want to do. Just to let you know, XP is no longer supported and there are security issues with it. You might want to think about installing something like Linux Mint or Ubuntu.

the thing is the bios of the laptop doesn't support or feature usb booting si i ran out of ideas

#13 CANTFINDANAME

CANTFINDANAME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:31 AM

This is what I would do for starters.

Unplug your brother's hard drive.

Boot up your PC with a Win 7 installation or repair disc. Do the automatic startup repair and you'll have your Win7 MBR back.

That would take care of your machine.

For your brother's machine in XP, you pretty much have to install the system on his machine or it's not going to work, so if he doesn't have a DVD in his laptop, you may need to pick up an external USB DVD like this.

this worked, thank you so much but what if i make the other drive bootable for windows xp setup, is that possibe?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:55 AM

Glad you got your Win7 back. When you used the repair disk, did you also get your XP entry back in the boot manager? What is the make and model of the laptop?

#15 CANTFINDANAME

CANTFINDANAME
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

Glad you got your Win7 back. When you used the repair disk, did you also get your XP entry back in the boot manager? What is the make and model of the laptop?

no, i used easybcd on that one haha.

HP Pavilion ZV6000, its very old i just want to fix it for my three year old sister :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users