Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Diamond 7850 video card crashs after Youtube videos

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chevelle67

chevelle67

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:42 PM

I have a home made computer with an I7 3770, ASRock Z77 extreme 4 MoBo, 16 GB RAM, 2 TB HDD, Windows 8.1. I purchased an AMD Diamond 7850 1 yr ago and it crashs spontaneously with internet games and very predictably after a Youtube video ends. Every time. This has been from the beginning and I have procrastinated on investigating it. I have manipulated the RAM sticks with no change. The onboard video works. I got frustrated and bought an EVGA 760 and it works fine. That being said I would really like the 7850 to work so I can put it in another computer. I tried running OCCT challenge but I did not know what I was doing however I never saw it go above 70C. Can you guys give me advice about how to get it to function or have I wasted my money. Chevelle67

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:55 AM

this may be caused by  browser add-on extension settings or lack thereof, what browser and version are you using for the youtube and games?

Edited by synergy513, 11 September 2014 - 12:56 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:56 AM

It happens with IE-11 with google, Google chrome and Firefox. It always happened with IE and Chrome so I installed Firefox 2 days ago and it happened with it also. Additional info - Corsair CX 600 power supply. I am not sure what happens with a DVD video. 2 hour run of MBAM and 4 hours of windows Defender caused no problems. When it "whites out" I can not read any error codes at the time. I have to do a reset and it comes back just fine. One time I was able to see "video card driver unresponsive". I unloaded and reloaded the latest version of 7850, now either 14.4 or 14.7, and cleared all old AMD folders, it wouldn't let me install until I did this. Come on - I know you can help me, right? Chevelle67

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:19 PM

oh yes. i know that sinking feeling of trying to avoid a rat race of spending money without getting solutions evident. and i can help. preferrably, another contributor can see this topic and volunteer with the dreaded "that same thing happened to me" proclamation and if lucky, can tell us how they solved this kind of adversity.

but until then, we can go with the facts as they are and use them to figure out what we don't know. ok, windows 8.1, and streaming crashes the 7850 in multiple browser clients. no overheating and i haven't heard of OCCT but. i have heard of Unigine benchmarkers, i think there is the valley and the heaven versions. i guess that is the standard stress test for a card. although streaming video content with a browser isn't exactly stressful.

a quick search revealed.....disabling hardware acceleration in your browsers.

#5 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 11:24 PM

Disabling the accelerators seems to be helping. Google chrome seems to be OK. I am struggling with making IE 11 consistent and I don't know how to shut off Firefox. Is there a way to really get in and shut these accelerators off? I'm hoping this is it. Chevelle67

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:37 AM

with firefox, it is tools---->options---->advanced------>general--------->browsing---->toggle off hardware acceleration

with IE 11, it is called software rendering mode. i think it is in the options --->advanced menu also, i am not sure

#7 chevelle67

chevelle67
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 11:08 AM

Brilliant!!  Now that I understand accelerators better it makes sense. The crash did not happen during the video or while manipulating the video - only when the video was over and Youtube was giving suggestions. I guess this is what accelerators do. I have tested over and over with IE, Chrome and Firefox and all are working properly after shutting off the accelerators in each browser. Thank you for the help. You guys are great. Chevelle67

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

excellent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users