Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Front Panel Cable Too Short. What can I do?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 us-60

us-60

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:54 PM

Hi, I'm trying to build a pc with an mATX motherboard. I realize the front panel cable is too short and I have no idea what kind of extension i should be looking for. I tried asking other sites but nobody gave me an answer.

Here is the cable and the connector it has to go into:

NgXNQrv.jpg

The connector itself:

4tYsoiZ.jpg

I tried searching "9-pin usb extension cable" but the only thing I get is for front panel audio cables, which seem to have a different pin layout than this cable. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

Hello and Welcome, There are a couple of BC Advisors that are very good with hardware. I would wait for their answer but to me it looks like a USB cable for your front USB ports.

uf31pin.jpg

You must verify that the motherboard USB pinout is the same as the cable of the case. I believe that it is not standard on on the pinouts but I would wait for verification from the BC Advisor.

I believe you would want a cable like this. Again, wait from verification from a BC advisor.

Edited by JohnC_21, 10 September 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

I agree, this looks like a usb 2.0 header connection, I would like you to verify this, what does the cable run to on the case? Does it go directly to the case usb ports? If so you can be certain it is a standard usb 2.0 header connector. If you have questions, post another picture of the front of the case where the short cable runs to.

Assuming it is a usb 2.0 (from the look in the pictures) the cable extension you would be looking for is potentially this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201024

If you are curious why that cable has only 8 pins and not 9 like the motherboard may have here is the pinout: https://communities.intel.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-96991-19832/usb.bmp

You'll notice that the 9th pin is empty and the 10th pin is not actually used. MAKE SURE you do not plug the cable in the wrong way...

Edited by zingo156, 11 September 2014 - 11:05 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 us-60

us-60
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

Ok, thanks for the responses. This cable actually looks like its connecting to the power switch on the case.

ibELxZa.jpg

and this is what it looks like from the front:

dOv5GqA.jpg

i don know if this changes anything if you need more pictures just let me know

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:56 AM

Ok, I have a few more questions now, is this a new motherboard (after market) that you are putting into a gateway case?

If so, they sometimes use proprietary connections for power, reset, etc. Which means you will not be able to connect those to the new motherboard without jerry rigging it.

It would require you to pull the pins out of the connection (case end plastic connector) and connect them directly to the correct spot on the motherboard. If that cable is not going to a usb port, DO NOT connect it to the usb header on the motherboard.

This is the problem with putting a generic motherboard in a case that was meant for a very specific motherboard.

My recommendation if the cable is proprietary (it appears this is the case), would be to replace the case with a custom build case.

Can you take a picture of the original motherboard and circle where the cable would have plugged in to it?

Edited by zingo156, 12 September 2014 - 12:02 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201024&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Internal+Power+Cables-_-N82E16812201024&gclid=Cj0KEQjws8qgBRCLp-aploLbqcQBEiQAm0rD50cJFukZAGt-UJ-b0ggAEdDMSKCnoZ1RUEzwBFt9_rgaArlY8P8HAQ

As long as the pins line up, you should be good to go no matter what pin does what.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

Plugging a power button cable into a usb header on the motherboard can potentially short out the motherboard bus on the motherboard causing permanent damage. Verify exactly what that cable goes to. If it is the power button, you will need to remove the pins on the case cable from the plastic connector and connect them to the power button pins on the motherboard, or replace the case with a custom build case which will have standard front panel connectors. I have had to do either option (depending on what the customer wanted) many times when the connections were proprietary.

Edited by zingo156, 12 September 2014 - 01:43 PM.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:42 PM

Ditto on that.  Verify that connector does what it does.  Connecting switches and LEDs to your USB header is a quick way to short out a port.  Just have never seen a plug like that that wasn't either USB or firewire.

Edited by dpunisher, 12 September 2014 - 01:42 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users