Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 keeps crashing for no reason, won't sleep, and browsers glitch out

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

So, out of the blue, my windows 8.1 system keeps crashing.   Out of nowhere my browser won't load new pages, and if I try and close it, I will no longer be able to click anything and will have to force a shutdown.  On top of that, the browsers will ocasionally glitch out, and I will see the desk top very briefly, and then back to the browser.  It also will constantly wake itself up when I try to put it to sleep, I do not know what the hell is wrong with this thing, but I have been having so many problems I'm getting enraged dealing with it all.  

Now instead of that, it just spazzes across the damned screen.  I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON.

No idea if this is the right place, but I'm going to guess it is.  If not please move it.  

Edited by anonymousjerkbag, 10 September 2014 - 08:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:07 PM

Sounds as though you may have a bad virus or malware infection.  Try posting this in the  sub forum. ( Am I infected/ What to do)

Edited by Cobalt006, 10 September 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#3 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:23 PM

Sounds as though you may have a bad virus or malware infection.  Try posting this in the  sub forum. ( Am I infected/ What to do)

I've got malwarebytes, pro, but when I scan with that it says there's nothing wrong.  Then if I scan with Avast, nothing changes, says that there are files that can't be scanned, got no idea what's going on.  Also I'm not getting any notifications when I get replies here.

#4 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:06 PM

Is this laptop or computer new? Is win8.1 . What the computer came with.

#5 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:20 PM

Is this laptop or computer new? Is win8.1 . What the computer came with.

I installed it, made the computer myself.  No problems till now. and the power frying the harddrive.

#6 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:06 PM

1.It may be possible. When the power fried the hard drive it may have done some other damage.

2.Have you tried a restore point. Back to when it was running  great.

3.If it is windows. You have either some corrupt system files, Or some software install that causing a conflict.

My guess from what you have told me is. I would try a system restore point. Then If this does not help.  I would look in to the motherboard it self. If your hard drive was was fried. It may have cause some damage to the main board sata connector.

#7 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:12 PM

Doing the same thing as before. I don't have a proper system restore point, and the restore disk doesn't go post 16 percent. I think it's this bleep solid gear drive, the last port I had plugged into my fried dive doesn't work anymore.
I'm guessing it did the same thing here.

No idea how to check for this, but now I need to replace the ssd again. That's my guess at least since I can't turn on the damned thing without it crashing
How would I know anyway.

#8 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:41 PM

Apparently I just read that Windows 8 . 1 and a ssd don't mix and you have to turn off disk de fragmentation or your drive is fried. First I'm reading about it on a year though. Anyone with experience able to comment?

#9 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

Yes defragging a solid state drive will destroy it. But if you have a port already out on the mainboard that short out. I really doubt it is do to the the hard drive.  I have a feeling the board its self may is bad. It will just be a matter of time before it just shorts out all the sata ports.   Doubt it would be good to hook another SSD up any time soon. Just may end up doing the same thing.

#10 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:08 AM

No, the plug from the power supply didn't work anymore, board is fine, far as I know. It is saying fragmenting is automatically on in Windows, and that kills the drives quicker, can't verify as it won't go on or recover

#11 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

Sometimes , You can format and repartition a SSD , After its been defrag.  It will be fine. It just depends on how long its been this way.  I would give that a try. But if the plug on the power supply went bad on the first on. I would be a littled worried about the power supply itself.

#12 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Can't . It's dead

#13 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

Sorry to hear this. 

#14 anonymousjerkbag

anonymousjerkbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:12 PM

How long would it take to kill a ssd being defraggded constantly by Windows eight?

#15 Cobalt006

Cobalt006

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

I don't think this is what killed your SSD. I really think your PSU is bad.. From what I have read on SSD. Most usually if they have been defragged. They can be reformatted most of the time. Then their the case they just stop working. 

I have never seen one burn up. Or seen the connecter from the PSU Quit working after the SSD died.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users