Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

screen keeps shutting down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 spiny norman

spiny norman

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:20 PM

Guys - I'm new here and need a little help. In the past couple of weeks my PC has started acting up. At seemingly random intervals, when I'm browsing and click on something, maybe a link, a tab a video, seems like on anything at random. The monitor shuts down and stops receiving a signal.

This weekend it did it while I was recording vinyl music and browsing at the same time. The screen goes dark, I could still hear the music through the computer speakers, buy the only way to continue was to shut down. On restart everything seemed ok but I lost my aero effects. I did a system restore and then it recovered aero.

Now however, it did it again while I was trying to post to this forum. I tried to recover to an earlier time and that didn't work.

Anyone have an idea why my monitor stops receiving a signal and anyone have an idea how I can get my aero back?

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, AMD fx6300 CPU, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon R7 200 series display adaptor,

Appreciate any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:27 PM

It's almost surely related to your graphics driver which you could remove and re-install.

To help determine what is going on, you can plug any monitor into it to see what happens.

If the 2nd monitor monitor works when the original one is down, then you'd have established that it's a monitor or cable problem.

If your PC has imbedded graphics which it probably does, then you can plug your monitor in there to see if the same problem occurs. (You nay have to remove your Graphics card to do so, or at the very least, disable it in the Bios)

By doing tests such as these, you eliminate possibilities one by one until you've got the culprit.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 spiny norman

spiny norman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:08 PM

thanks I appreciate the reply, next time the monitor blanks I'll plug in another to check it.

I also uninstalled and installed a new driver for the video card just now. I'm not sure if that fixed anything though and I don't have Aero back. Any idea how to recover it?

Thanks

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:51 PM

Right click  on Desktop and hit personalize. In the next window, click on the theme called Windows 7.

If it doesn't work properly, it will automatically troubleshoot it.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 spiny norman

spiny norman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:08 PM

Unfortunately Windows 7 them is greyed out and can't be selected.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

Trying the imbedded graphics would be the next step to take to establish if the problem lies with your Graphics card.

If the system works fine with imbedded graphics, then you'd be down to three possibilities.

1) The GPU is defective.

2) The PCI slot is damaged.

3) The drivers aren't "right".

All is well in Paradise.

#7 spiny norman

spiny norman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:34 PM

I was just about to post that my motherboard doesn't have onboard graphics. I have a ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0.

Anyway tonight on my return from work I turned my computer on, I had no Aero but I noticed font sizes were larger than normal. I went into Screen Resolution clicked on "Make text and other items larger or smaller", I returned mine to the default setting (100%), I was asked to log off so I did. And on reboot my Aero was back. I don't know why. But I'm happy to see it back.

Thanks for your help, hopefully I'm cured but if it re-occurs I'll be back.

Cheers

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:18 PM

Well, that was easy, lol.

BTW: I researched your Asus motherboard and saw pictures of the rear outputs that included a VGA output, a sure fire sign of having built in graphics.

That being said, you know your machine better than I do and not everything we see on the internet is true.

No matter now that it self cured.

Have a good one.

All is well in Paradise.

#9 spiny norman

spiny norman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:39 PM

well of course it reoccurred, this time while I was not around. Unfortunately, my board doesn't have onboard graphics so I'm scratching my head what to do. I wonder if I have 2 problems. The first causing signal to the monitor to shut down and the second doing the following:

1. Really slooowww boot times
  2. no Aero
  3. a message flashes up saying something like the System Event notification Services couldn't start.

I researched these 3 items and found it wasn't unusual though I can't find a solution.

Any thoughts?

#10 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

When you uninstall the GPU driver, does an option to delete it appear and if so, do you select it?

Here are a couple of things to try

Reseat the GPU, any additional wiring it might have and reseat the ram while you're there.

If you have contact cleaner to spray in there, that would be super, if not, cleaning the contacts up with alcohol works fairly well too.

PS: You can do a couple of software fixes that might help.

Open a command Prompt window (run as administrator) and copy and paste the following.

sfc /scannow

Also, schedule a full diskcheck for the next reboot.

Edited by rockysosua, 13 September 2014 - 05:52 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users