Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop randomly shuts off when closed and plugged into a monitor (Windows 7).

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xtravisage

xtravisage

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:40 PM

Hello, I have an HP pavilion g7 notebook PC and the screen got broken about a year ago.  Since then, I've had it hooked up to an external monitor, though I still had it open on my desk so I could use the keyboard.  Anyway, I just recently finally got a proper keyboard and mouse for the thing (after my old mouse stopped working) and so I decided to save space by storing the actual laptop under my desk, closed.  The problem is that it will randomly just decide to shut off for no good reason.  I have it propped up sort of sideways on a desk leg at the moment, but I've laid it down flat as well, to no avail.  I don't get any kind of "widows shut down unexpectedly" message either.  I've already checked in power options, and closing the lid is set to do nothing.  Anyone have an Idea of what's going on? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:11 AM

Laptops are supposed to sleep when the top is closed. When re-opened they can usually be awakened by a keystroke (usually the Spacebar) or momentarily depressing the power button. The keystrokes used to awaken a snoozing lappy can vary by maker and/or model, you'll have to check your user manual.

#3 xtravisage

xtravisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:03 AM

No, it doesn't sleep, it just straight up shuts off, instantly, with no warning.  The laptop doesn't have it's usual blinking sleep lights when I go to turn it back on, and it goes through all the normal boot up steps.  Besides, I have it set to do nothing when the top is closed.  And I'm not sure if it's even technically counts as closed, because it's kind of 1/4 open between the desk leg and the wall.

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

May I have the complete model # of the Pavilion G7 notebook?

#5 xtravisage

xtravisage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:37 PM

584037-001 I believe.  Not sure if that's the one you're talking about, and the label's kind of smudged from being under a computer for a few years, but it should be right.

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:07 AM

I'm going to guess that when the screen got cracked, smushed, dropped, however it happened, there was collateral damage. I'm thinking that the input power jack for the AC adapter may be damaged/loose, and that closing the top crimps a power cable, causing it to shut off. Checking it will involve tearing down the lappy.

I located this manual online and it has teardown procedures ... http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02720306.pdf .

BE CAREFUL working in a laptop!! There are numerous screws and the ribbon cables are delicate and their connectors break easily. BE VERY careful of using excessive force. DON'T work on the laptop energized!

You'll need a screwdriver (probably Phillips head), a container to place screws, and maybe a hard plastic wedge (a hard plastic guitar pick is perfect).

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users