Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extendedunlimited.org pop up on startup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kenmicjen

kenmicjen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:42 PM

Hello. So whenever my computer starts up, CMD.exe opens quickly and it opens up Google Chrome to a webpage called "Extendedunlimited.org".. AVG finds nothing, Malwarebytes find nothing.. I used AdwCleaner and it found some folders that looked related. I thought i simply just had to allow it to clean them up.. It rebooted but the cmd and the webpage still pops up.. AdwCleaner is not able to find the folders anymore though. 

I'd really appreciate some help. First of all it's really annoying but of course i'm also worrried about it being serious.

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2014 - 05:46 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

Try resetting Chrome.  Remove ads, search engine, homepage, and extensions - Chrome Help

1. Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings and find the "Reset browser settings" section.
  4. Click Reset browser settings.

Use CCleaner to cleanup temporary files, logs, ad/ tracking cookies, etc. Use the default settings. No need to use the Registry Cleaning Tool and its

use may cause other problems. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck the offers of toolbars such as Yahoo.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hi,

resetting Chrome will not help.
This is launched at startup by a Run-Entry in the registry. It is stored in the subkey HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and its value name is "CMD" (the data are "cmd.exe /c start http://extendedunlimited.org && exit").
If you are familiar with the registry go ahead and delete this value "CMD". Otherwise (or if in doubt) ask here for further support to do it.

#4 kenmicjen

kenmicjen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:48 PM

Hi,

resetting Chrome will not help.
This is launched at startup by a Run-Entry in the registry. It is stored in the subkey HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and its value name is "CMD" (the data are "cmd.exe /c start http://extendedunlimited.org && exit").
If you are familiar with the registry go ahead and delete this value "CMD". Otherwise (or if in doubt) ask here for further support to do it.

Thanks, i am not really at all familiar with the registry. I'd appreciate it if you could explain to me how i do this, since i'm kind of a noob in some areas..

Try resetting Chrome.  Remove ads, search engine, homepage, and extensions - Chrome Help

1. Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings and find the "Reset browser settings" section.
  4. Click Reset browser settings.

Use CCleaner to cleanup temporary files, logs, ad/ tracking cookies, etc. Use the default settings. No need to use the Registry Cleaning Tool and its

use may cause other problems. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck the offers of toolbars such as Yahoo.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

I forgot to say but i've tried uninstalling Chrome and messing around with its settings.. And i've also tried CCleaner :)

#5 aharonov

aharonov

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,441 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

Ok, let's do a blind fix.
  • Click the Windows Start Orb in the bottom-left
  • In the search box, type notepad, then click on Notepad to open it
  • Copy and paste the following text into the notepad document:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "CMD"=-
  • Click on File, then Save As...
  • Click on your Desktop as the save location, then in the file name box type: fix.reg
  • Under Save as type choose All files.
  • Click save and close the notepad document
  • Double-click the file fix.reg on your desktop
    note: if prompted by User Account Control, select Yes or Allow so the fix can continue
  • A message will appear about adding information into the registry, click Yes when prompted
  • A prompt should appear that the information was added successfully
    note: if not, please note the error message and post it in your next reply
  • Afterwards reboot your machine and report back if the problem is still there or if it's gone.

#6 kenmicjen

kenmicjen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:32 PM

"CMD"=-
  • Click on your Desktop as the save location, then in the file name box type: fix.reg
    note: if prompted by User Account Control, select Yes or Allow so the fix can continue
  • A message will appear about adding information into the registry, click Yes when prompted
  • Afterwards reboot your machine and report back if the problem is still there or if it's gone.

Thank you so much, this totally worked  :)

Edited by kenmicjen, 10 September 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#7 alfiejr

alfiejr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:33 AM

"CMD"=-

Its working for me too!!, Thank you so much :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users