Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new guy needs direction

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shag9499

shag9499

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

hello all. im having issues with my hp g62 and looking   for directon /advice. it will boot up and run for approximately 20 mins maybe then the screen goes black. the drive I can still hear running as when I boot it im trying to remove all data I need to an external drive in order to retain it. after the screen goes black and after I while I shut it off and start it back up. it  says the system was shut down in order to protect it from overheating. then the screen after that asks for safe mode or normal boot which I do the normal one. I do not have a cooler for it but it never has seemed to get hot. I also have a hp dv2000 that you have to have the plug just right in order for it to charge. what would one recommend here? how do I tell if its the plug or power cord compared to the socket on the laptop? also on older equiptment is cheaper to rebuild/upgrade what you have if you do the work yourself or just buy new or used? it seems as if even new equiptment goes bad relatively quickly and a waste of money if one can fix/upgrade themselves. I don't do a lot with the equiptment I have. I surf the net, do some photo stuff and burn some home movies and picture dvds. and one last note, on older equiptment that im not going to fix and haven't wanted to throw away because of my data on the drives is it realatively cheap to turn those old drives into external ones? thanks for your help in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2014 - 01:18 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:28 PM

With your HP G62, can you hear the fan going when you turn the laptop on? Sometimes if the fan doesn't start the computer will shutdown to keep it from getting too hot.

For your HP DV2000, you could try getting another AC adapter and seeing if you have the same issues, if you do then the charging port on the laptop itself is probably at fault.

Finally, I usually recommend buying a new PC over upgrading old hardware, depending on how old it is/how much room it actually has to improve. A lot of pre-built PCs are harder to upgrade or they might now even have any room to upgrade. In your case specifically, if all you do is web browsing and tasks like that, you could probably get more RAM or get a new hard drive to improve speed. You can buy SATA to USB cables to convert an internal hard drive into an external one, but you will need to also plug it into a power source (there may be ways to get around that), you can even buy an actual enclosure for the hard drive just like an external one you buy in a store.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:33 PM

You can buy a can of compressed air and blow out the intake and exhaust with short bursts, so to not over-spin the fan.

After cleaning it well, make sure that the laptop is not placed on material like a bed or a towel, as that will block the air intake and make it overheat.

Some charger ports are more delicate than others, but be aware, that they are all a bit delicate.

The cheaper the machine, the easier they break.

If you're a bit tech savvy, you can easily replace it.

All is well in Paradise.

#4 shag9499

shag9499
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

thanks for the replies...im sure I can swap parts as I do that on all my appliances and such now...this time the g62 fired up and is running ok for now....should I run a test on the system to check for problems?

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:49 PM

On the g62, finish getting your data backed up then go to www.speccy.com and install it. You will get a snapshot of your computer including temperature readings. Also take note of your 25 character product key in case you will need it later on. I believe it would be a good idea to post the speccy report

My edit: then we can look at what problems to check for

Edited by cmptrgy, 10 September 2014 - 06:52 PM.

#6 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,656 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:15 PM

"I don't do a lot with the equiptment I have. I surf the net, do some photo stuff and burn some home movies and picture dvds"

--- Well, that could turn out to be a lot: photo stuff, home movies and picture DVD's can become pretty involved as time goes on

On trying to continue/upgrade older equipment that requires determining what your goals are

--- It would be a good idea to post what the older equipment is and request advice

In principle I agree with Aerys

--- I have an 11 year old XP computer and it still runs like new. Like you I hate to throw away a good running computer.

--- So right now I have plans to convert it to Linux Mint

#7 shag9499

shag9499
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

ok I haven't had a chance to do anything with the g62 yet except get everything backed up on an external drive. now today it is booted up and the desktop is showing but the screen is black. I can hear the fan running. the wifi light is light at the top of the keyboard and the power light to my external drive is lit. the caps lock light doesn't come on when I hit it like its frozen. neither the mouse pad or the buttons on the pad get the screen to pop up. suggestions? it has done it in the past as well. if i turn it off and reboot it will be ok for a while. will speecy give me insight?

#8 shag9499

shag9499
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

ok i blew the fan exhaust and rebooted the pc. it will not boot. the fan doesn't come on. the power light comes on and the caps lock blinks

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 15 September 2014 - 03:23 AM

Hi, some very basic questions here, maybe you can answer them in the same order?

1. What Operating System are you running, eg Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Linux?
  2. With the HP G62, is it eg an HP G62-225DX, G62-400, G62-130eg, or what? There may be a sticker on the front, or else details at the back/underneath
  3. Any info like 3GB RAM, 100GB hard drive - these and the above could all be added to your profile, but let us know

I am guessing it is a 2010/2011 model, but let us know.

Likewise to the above, regarding the HP DV2000.

Are they networked together?

Can you generate screenshots of any of the problems/errors? A screenshot is as below, from my own PC:

Selection_028_zpsad7d779d.png

In Windows 7 this can be done with the Snipping tool, from Start-Programs, or in Linux with Screenshot, Shutter, &c.

And I suppose the most obvious question (for the G62) is/are:

1. Do you have the original installation disk from the manufacturer/place of purchase?
  2. Did you create a System Recovery Disk/Rescue Disk after you started using the unit?

I take it from what you have said so far that perhaps you have a dual-layer DVD+/-RW drive, or some sort of optical disk drive, is that so?

I will be away for two to three days, but look forward to any assistance we can provide from your answers.

Welcome to Bleeping Computers!

Wizard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users