Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell #2 And Through

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 leatherneckjoe

leatherneckjoe

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

About ten years ago I bought a new Dell Inspiron 8600 for about $1,600. and after a full year of taking crap from Dell with DVD RW hardware problems and when I sent the laptop into Dell Service, they sent me back a refurbished one. That was the last straw so I gave up and I gave the computer to the Local High School Computer Lab and I vowed to never get another Dell.

Well Fast forward to six months ago and I saw an unbeatable deal on eBay for a Used (2011 model) Dell Inspiron N5030 for $250. packed to the 9's with 15" SVGA; Pentium 2.3 GHz dual core; 1TB HDD; 3Gig RAM; and great onboard graphics BUT, BUT, BUT Once Again Terrible DVD Drive Issues!!! Come to find out "The Computer came to me with a DVD drive that never worked! (because of all my flash drives, I never had a need for it until two months ago).

With that said... I have done every Dell diagnostic test (everything passed), flashed the bios, downloaded and installed all Dell's drivers for my pc and OS, I replaced the DVD drive TWICE, but the device manager still shows a yellow ( ! ) I even went as far as buying an external USB 2 DVD and the device manager now just shows me TWO yellow ( !'s ). I cant understand how it can be like this. I am working on getting a new enclosure for my 1TB backup HDD and Windows 7 or 8 so I can save my data and wipe the HDD and do a fresh reinstall (what bitter pill to swallow since I am a disabled senior and a low income) I have all me spare money tied up in my Dell From Hell and I lost my only car was destroyed in the flood in the Detroit area last month so I won't see extra cash any time soon.

I am hoping above hope that someone can offer a working or at least a tempory solution for my optical issues to make me feel some compassion for my 2nd Dell Disaster...

Thaks Ever So Much

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

Just to make sure, did you specifically install the "TSST TS-L633J 12.7 SATA Trayload 8X DVDRW Firmware Update"? http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-n5030/drivers It is under "Removable storage" and make sure you choose the correct OS you have at the top. Did you install the drivers for the USB DVD drive that you bought? I can't imagine why they both don't work. Are you able to put discs in the built in DVD drive on the laptop and they just aren't being read? Also may I ask what you need the drive for, there maybe other alternatives to get the same task accomplished. I have heard about 50/50 reviews on Dell, half say its terrible while the other half only buy Dell because it is so great.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 leatherneckjoe

leatherneckjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:34 PM

Sorry but I forgot to mention that the DVD drives installed (both the internal & external) do NOT even show up on the "MY COMPUTER" directory and I am running an upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate: Yes I had downloaded every single driver and firmware including the one/s at this Dell category, and there were issues with every one that dealt with optical drive issues.  When I try to run this driver set I just get an error  (Drive Can't Be Found).  I am so frustrated  and am loathing the idea of trying a full HDD reformat (MANY Gigs of reinstall)

#4 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

Here is a fixit from Microsoft maybe you could try running, it is supposed to fix problems just like this: http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

-Jaime Lannister

#5 leatherneckjoe

leatherneckjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:54 PM

My Dell From Hell

Thank You for the Microsoft Fix! It took care of the DVD drive issues, however, it created other serious issues that has me baffled.

Issue 1.

Now I can get absolutely NO audio. I tried every audio/video program in my arsenal and they all play the DVD/CD content but with no audio. There are no issues with any internal or external speaker hardware or settings. Device manager shows no problem and Dell scans as well, no problems found.

Issue 2.

Then I made an error that caused me even more trouble. An error message from my iTunes mentioned that another audio program may be the problem and I should reinstall iTunes, Since I have no audio from All my audio/video programs I decided to open “ Programs and Features Add Remove” and go down the list and delete then reinstall all my audio/video feature programs. First on the list was Ant Video BUT when I went to click on Ant, I accidentally deleted my Atheros WiFi driver and cannot find a fix at Dell.com or Google to repair so now I must connect to my modem via a network cable.

Sorry for being such a pain...

#6 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:32 AM

Hm that is very odd that it would create issues like that. There are realtek audio and atheros wifi drivers on http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-15-n5030/drivers did you try installing those?

-Jaime Lannister

#7 leatherneckjoe

leatherneckjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:08 AM

Thanks ever so much for the DVD & the Wi-Fi fix. You People Here Are Great!  I finally got the Wi-Fi working.  I used device manager to uninstall the audio and rebooted and NOW  My hardware is now at 100% and so instead of MY DELL FROM HELL I'm sitting at MY DELL IN PERGATORY (just waiting for the inevitable Dell-Judgment Day),  LOL or rather WIM (WOE-Is-ME)

If I had ANY followers on Facebook,  I would tell them all about bleepingcomputer.com

Edited by leatherneckjoe, 13 September 2014 - 07:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users