Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: Need new laptop for work (web developer)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 testudoaubreii

testudoaubreii

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:04 PM

My budget for the new computer is: 
My budget is around $600. I am hoping that I can push it up a bit, but this is it, for now.

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)? 

I will mostly be using the laptop for web development work. I will need to have Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver, multiple browsers and browser tabs open and running at the same time. Additionally, I would like to use it as my media server while at home. I would like to stream all types of media files to all TVs on my home network and play video files at 1080p on the TV the laptop will be hooked up to.

What software do you intend on using on the computer? 
I will be using Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and very rarely Premiere Pro (but it would only be for very short and small sized videos for my company, so that is not a big deal). I will also be using XBMC.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? 
I do play games, but I have a rig at home for that use. It is not a priority, but if I can squeeze out some gaming on the new laptop, then that is just an added plus. 

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? 
I will have many programs open at the same time.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
There will be some media files on the computer, but not many. I have external drives for most of that stuff. I will have a lot of website files on there that will include PSD and various image files, though.

Will you be overclocking?
No overclocking. 

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?

I am in the U.S. I would like to shop online. I am a member of Amazon Prime, but I am open to any and all suggestions.

How many monitors are you planning to use?

I will be using the laptop screen and one other monitor.

Do you need peripherals? OS?
No. I do not need any peripherals or OS, unless the laptop ships with one.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading?

I am upgrading from a late 2008 MacBook Pro. It was starting to show its age and I could not have many things open at the same time. It would randomly shut down when too much stuff was going on.

I just want to say thank you in advance for any and all help, advice and suggestions! It has been really tough the past week will searching and researching for a new laptop. I am ready to get it over with.

Thanks!

Testudo

Edited by testudoaubreii, 10 September 2014 - 12:04 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:52 PM

That is a pretty small budget for everything that you want to do, I found this laptop http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314533 it has decent specs, but would probably need to have more RAM and possibly and SSD installed to keep up with everything you need. Maybe someone else has some ideas they can give you.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 testudoaubreii

testudoaubreii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

That is a pretty small budget for everything that you want to do, I found this laptop http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314533 it has decent specs, but would probably need to have more RAM and possibly and SSD installed to keep up with everything you need. Maybe someone else has some ideas they can give you.

Thank you very much for your response!

So, I upped my budget a bit. I ran across this HP:

I know that some people have grips about HP, but this looks to be a pretty good deal. All that I am looking at is the price/performance here. If I can find another deal like this with Lenovo or Asus, I would probably lean that way. Anyhow, what do you all think about this? Is this a good deal?

#4 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:52 PM

That looks like a nice machine, and I have owned/still own computers from all the major brands, and honestly what matters is support/warranty and all the bloat and programs that come pre installed. HP has decent support from my experience, but a 1 year warranty is kind of short. Nevertheless, it looks like it will perform how you need, maybe a RAM upgrade will help it even more.

-Jaime Lannister

#5 testudoaubreii

testudoaubreii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

I upped my budget yet again:

Here is what I am looking at now. What do you think? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834231974

#6 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:21 AM

Are portability and weight a factor for you? Those gaming laptops are bulky and heavy, and hot. With laptops I think you need to get your hands on them, see them with your own eyes. And other than that, whatever amount you have to spend, pretty much all the laptops at any given price are virtually identical imo. As a mac guy maybe you should take a look at some of those samsung ultrabooks, they are really slick.

#7 testudoaubreii

testudoaubreii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 07:50 AM

Are portability and weight a factor for you? Those gaming laptops are bulky and heavy, and hot. With laptops I think you need to get your hands on them, see them with your own eyes. And other than that, whatever amount you have to spend, pretty much all the laptops at any given price are virtually identical imo. As a mac guy maybe you should take a look at some of those samsung ultrabooks, they are really slick.

Thank you for your reply!

Yeah, I am taking that into consideration. The only reason I am looking at the gaming laptops is for the specs. I know something like that can stay relevant for a few years, as far as my work is concerned. So, you don't think there is that much of a performance difference between a highly clocked i5 in laptop and a quad core i7 for a laptop?

Speaking of Mac, I was actually thinking about getting the i7 Mac Mini. I have the peripherals that I need at home and at work. I figured I could just unplug and go and I wouldn't have to spend the extra cash on a laptop.

Edited by testudoaubreii, 16 September 2014 - 07:51 AM.

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 17 September 2014 - 07:31 AM

The performance difference depends on what you are doing, and maybe some of the more demanding things you said you would do would get into that, but not the less demanding ones.

I think if you don't need a laptop, don't get one, because laptops make all kinds of design sacrifices for size and portability, which if you don't need, you are sacrificing for nothing.

#9 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

I agree with bludshot, you started out talking about just getting a laptop, but if you aren't moving it a lot or don't need to, then go for a desktop for sure.

-Jaime Lannister

#10 testudoaubreii

testudoaubreii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

The performance difference depends on what you are doing, and maybe some of the more demanding things you said you would do would get into that, but not the less demanding ones.

I think if you don't need a laptop, don't get one, because laptops make all kinds of design sacrifices for size and portability, which if you don't need, you are sacrificing for nothing.

Thanks for the response and that certainly makes a lot of sense.

I agree with bludshot, you started out talking about just getting a laptop, but if you aren't moving it a lot or don't need to, then go for a desktop for sure.

Thanks! I agree, too. The reason I would like a laptop because there are times where I will be moving around, mostly in between home and work. I need all of the website and graphic files on one machine so that I do not have to transfer the files every time I work from home or away from the office. I just thought it would be more convenient to have a laptop. It will be mostly plugged in, so I don't mind the size so much. However, I would like the ability to just pick it up and go.

I think I stated in my OP that I am coming from a Mac. I was looking into another one, but I don't know...I was actually looking at the i7 Mac Mini. That is pretty portable, as far as between work and home goes. All I would have to do is unplug and plug in.

I don't know, this has been a trying experience. I didn't realize how much shopping for a new laptop would prove to be such a daunting task lol.

#11 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:40 AM

Understood, I believe the reason laptop shopping can get a little daunting is because they are using mobile processors and video cards, which may look the same as a desktop version, but are actually slower, sometimes much slower. The other side is the build quality, you can read reviews on most laptops and see that they all have their quirks, like that Asus laptop you linked has some issues with the keyboard. The Mac mini would most likely need a bump up on the RAM, putting you at around $900, in the least, but in comparison to other laptops for that price, you would get a graphics card as well (which the mini doesn't have). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152586 This MSI laptop looks like it would perform what you need, and I have always heard good things about MSI laptops.

-Jaime Lannister

#12 testudoaubreii

testudoaubreii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 10:58 AM

Understood, I believe the reason laptop shopping can get a little daunting is because they are using mobile processors and video cards, which may look the same as a desktop version, but are actually slower, sometimes much slower. The other side is the build quality, you can read reviews on most laptops and see that they all have their quirks, like that Asus laptop you linked has some issues with the keyboard. The Mac mini would most likely need a bump up on the RAM, putting you at around $900, in the least, but in comparison to other laptops for that price, you would get a graphics card as well (which the mini doesn't have). http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152586 This MSI laptop looks like it would perform what you need, and I have always heard good things about MSI laptops.

Thanks for responding back to me!

Yeah, I was thinking about the cost factor and the lack of the GPU with the Mac Mini. Plus, I am really trying to get away from Mac...I think. I read that about the Asus keyboard and I was looking at the MSI brand. I think one of the best things about MSI is that they use their own hardware. I think you an upgrade, as well. Looking at the MSI, though, I see that it is an i5 dual core. I just don't want to take the chance on it not being powerful enough for everything that I will have going on at the same time.

I am going back and forth on the used/new thing. I have a Asus ROG i7 3610qm/16 GBS/256 SSD/660m, for $650. I think that this laptop will do everything that I need it to do. Then, I have a newer versions of the Asus ROG that include the Haswell i7/12 GB RAM/750 7200 HDD/840m, that can roughly cost $900.

I am considering a new laptop because of the warranty and longevity. However, and correct me if I am wrong, the used Asus ROG actually has pretty good specs and I think may even be faster in the applications department because of the SSD and RAM.

Is it worth it to get the new laptop or just stick with the used one? Is the Haswell CPU that much better to have than the Ivy Bridge? Will there be that much of a difference between the 660m and the 840m? I mean, I know that the 840m is a newer card and will play games better, but I will not be doing much gaming, if at all. Finally, do you think that the used laptop will stay "relevant" for what I need it to do for years to come? Again, I know that we cannot predict the future of Adobe CC or anything, just trying to get some input.

#13 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:13 AM

Between those, I would go with the used one personally, the difference in the processors is not that great, and that SSD will speed up everything that you do. I only recently switched to an SSD and will never be going back. Usually even refurbished laptops will have warranties on them, depending on where you buy it. If those GPUs are the ones that I am thinking, the 660M is actually rated higher than the 840M. If you can, link both laptops so I can look closer. At this point, I think it will be able to handle those programs easily, as they won't need specs much higher than that to run, even in the future.

-Jaime Lannister

#14 testudoaubreii

testudoaubreii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 11:25 AM

Between those, I would go with the used one personally, the difference in the processors is not that great, and that SSD will speed up everything that you do. I only recently switched to an SSD and will never be going back. Usually even refurbished laptops will have warranties on them, depending on where you buy it. If those GPUs are the ones that I am thinking, the 660M is actually rated higher than the 840M. If you can, link both laptops so I can look closer. At this point, I think it will be able to handle those programs easily, as they won't need specs much higher than that to run, even in the future.

Here they are:

i7 3610qm processor
16gb 1600MHz Ram
240gb SSD Crucial Hard Drive
Nvidia Geforce GTX 660M 2gb
windows 7

Intel Core i7 4710HQ (2.50GHz)
12GB Memory 1TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M 2GB GDDR3
1920 x 1080
Windows 8.1 64-Bit
DL DVD+-RW/CD-RW

#15 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2014 - 12:21 PM

I'd say go with the top one;
the CPU is only marginally better; http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-3610QM-vs-Intel-4710HQ
the GPU is newer and better, but still not too much better; http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-850M-vs-GeForce-GTX-660M

Those extra 4GB of RAM and that SSD will probably provide the best improvement, based on what you need it to do.

-Jaime Lannister

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users