Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

please, advice is needed for edit old video material for dvd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

good afternoon to all

please, i ask for your kind help with some old videos i have to edit for some people from a local charity club

unfortunately those videos are of low resolution and can be downloaded only from youtube since there no any source videos like vhs and hi8 cassettes

those videos are all in flv format but i really don't know at what format i have to download them prior any edit and rendering

there is no any copyright issues with those videos

those videos are from various club event's (festivals, live concerts, wine festival, weddings) from mid eighties since 1997

i do audio/video projects but frankly speaking i haven't done anything like before

i am working with sony vegas 8 with dvd architect 4, adobe audition 2 and motu digital performer for windows

from my experience even with video bit rates as low as 4750 kbits can give you a good video quality (sd video)  but if your video source is really good (dvcpro, dv, dvcam)

now, in my situation with those flv videos i do not know if a video bit rate like 4750 kbits would be sufficient

many thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:49 AM

You can use a number of different downloaders/converters...to download .flv files.  You have to read the instructions for using each downloader/converter to see what the possibilities are.

If you want to edit video files...what program do you intend to use for said editing?

Louis

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:31 PM

You can download from youtube in formats other than flv, many youtube download sites  offer a variety of formats. AVI is usually the best choice. If the video has a codec that complicates things as your editing and viewing programs may not recognize the codec so despite it's absurdly large size raw avi may be your best option. Once you've finished editing you can save the compilation to a less bulky format. VLC will let you play almost any video file regardless of codecs, i use it alot, but as you want to edit these videos as well as watch them it is not so much help. It would play videos fine but your editing program couldn't play them so you would be no better off. The site i use for youtube downloads does use a codec on it's avi files, such that vlc will play them while windows media player only picks up their audio. Therefore i won't recommend that site to you for downloading the videos. There are many other sites which let you download youtube videos and with luck one of them will do raw avi or something easily compatible with your video editing software, make sure to have a good adblocker working in your browser when you visit the video downloader site(they all make their money through ads so have loads of them, and quite intrusive and potentially malicious ones too). As for quality you can't really do anything to boost that, you might edit some settings but no amount of editing can add data that isn't there to begin with. You might be best adding some effects to the video which would cover up that flaw, a deliberate use of some sort of ageing and film grain effects might provide some laughs for the viewers (do it like an old jerky and grainy silent film, albeit one with audio and in colour) while covering up the video quality issues.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

dear sir hamluis  and dear rp88 i thank you for your kind replies

ok, then i found a free downloader for youtube !

it was really very easy to start download the videos i have to edit but my line is not to powerful and it will take few days to download everything

yes, avi it is a good choice for me especially raw but unfortunately i do not have the necessary space to download my videos as raw avi (no compression)

i have decided to download the videos as mp4 which is a recent video codec with some pretty good compression/quality ratio

further edit have to be done to correct color, contrast, audio levels, fade ins/outs and audio normalization

a long job indeed for my little celeron g530 !

many thanks again for your replies and advices 

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

I don't know your hardware setup but i would think it could store a few gigabytes of raw avi files if needed, although download would be painfully slow. If you are using mp4 just make sure that the codec (which the download site probably won't tell you what codec is used)works fine with your editor program. Import the first video you download to your editor program, if it works fine keep using mp4 from the same download site for the rest of the vids, if it does not work well then you have only wasted your time downloading one file. You can try other formats for the file until one works, then download the rest of the files in the workable format.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:36 PM

hi again dear rp88

my hardware is not anything special, just a little celeron g530 on an asus p8h61m-le socket 1155 motherboard, 4 gb corsair value ram (1 dimm), wd 250 sata2 hd 

download my videos as avi will take more than 1.2 to 1.7 gb of space but raw will take a huge amount of space

furthermore i would not win any better video quality if i download as avi since those videos are all ready compressed from youtube

my best choice is the mp4 video format which give me a small file size at around 430 to 740 mb per video at reasonable quality

ok, editing take a long time since i have to adjust and restore many things among others like color, contrast, audio levels

i have to say also that i am quite happy with the rendering times

nearly an hour for a complete rendering and dvd burn 

not bad at all with all those heavy filters

thanks for your advice and your kind reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users