Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC goes into overdrive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Professorbed

Professorbed

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

Maybe a slight exaggeration but...

I have a Dell Studio 540 PC and have had it now for about 5 or so years. In recent months I have noticed a whirring noise particularly when looking at video or certain websites with lots of stuff on them. I checked the machine and got ride of much dust as I could. Unfortunately that didnt help and the PC continued to get worse until the point it was whirring most of the time, getting louder with tasks such as a windows update.

It has now got to the point that it whirs pretty much all the time to the point it builds up so much it goes into what can be described as a jet aircraft taking off. Im sure its not good for the machine, but things still seem to work. of course id rather it didnt do this.

Forgive me that im not particularly computer savvy but i checked out the machinery, and it appears that the noise and extreme noise come from both visible fans (I stop one and the other continues with the racket, and vice versa)

Would be grateful for advice and to be pointed towards any tutorials that will help me solve this issue , to go back to a lovely peaceful PC

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 798 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

How did you attempt to clean out the dust?

The best way is to use a can of compressed air that you can pick up locally almost anywhere.

Just an example here:

http://www.staples.com/Air-Dusters/cat_CL142034

When you blow it out, be sure to get between all the fins on the cpu's heatsink, be sure to use something to prevent the fan from spinning because it can damage it if you don't. Also blow out around the memory sticks, the power supply, your graphics card if you have one and do not let that fan spin either. If there's dust balls behind the main board, you should hit that too. Always hold the can in an upright position and if it starts getting cold, you can shake it up to get more pressure (will only work for a short time until you have to wait for the can to warm up) Remove all the things you used to hold the fans steady and plug the power cord back in and re-check your temps

Edited by Joe C, 10 September 2014 - 06:40 PM.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:58 PM

5 years may be a good idea to install new fans, very inexpensive and fairly simple job.  By the way great machine!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users