Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

End Of Support For Windows Xp Sp1 On October 10, 2006

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 07 June 2006 - 08:12 AM

Reminder:

On October 10, 2006, Microsoft will end all public assisted support for Windows XP Service Pack1 (SP1). After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident support options or security updates for this retired service pack under the policies defined by the Microsoft Support Lifecycle policy...To enhance the security of your computer and to continue to receive updates for Windows XP, we recommend you upgrade your computer, for free, to Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2).

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/support/endofsupport.mspx

* Products will expire on the second Tuesday after the end of the quarter.
* Security updates released on the same day a product expires will be supported for 30 days following the release. In the event Microsoft releases a security update on the same day that a product is scheduled to end its support lifecycle, support of the security update will continue for a minimum of 30 days.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifean17/
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fireboy

fireboy

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:57 PM

:thumbsup: They also plan on ending support for XP all together 2 years after the release of Vista. At the rate they are coming with that OS, it will be like 2015 when they finally bury XP

#3 brentthing

brentthing

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 12:04 PM

well the end of service for xp doesnt make sence because Vista is the second worst windows operating system yet in my mind

#4 karthik_bangalore

karthik_bangalore

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:40 PM

Hi, I just came across this post.
I have friend who has XP prof, how shall i find out whether this one is Sp1 ?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,277 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

Right click My Computer and choose "Properties". On the General Tab you will see the system information and what service packs (if any) are installed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 perfect defect

perfect defect

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:04 AM

this is interesting. my girlfriends mom told me (through my girlfriend) that her computer was saying that windows was going to expire on october, and i had no idea what she was talking about, so i didnt think much of it, thought it might just be for her antivirus software. now she says windows freezes everytime it loads... so i think that she never did ever update windows xp to sp2 (thanks to her lovely dial up modem and never being online to d/l it...)

hopefully i'll be able to get into safemode and get it :thumbsup:

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:05 PM

Microsoft free CD for SP 2 (you pay shipping charge)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx

#8 SunScapes

SunScapes

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:53 PM

now she says windows freezes everytime it loads... so i think that she never did ever update windows xp to sp2 (thanks to her lovely dial up modem and never being online to d/l it...)

hopefully i'll be able to get into safemode and get it :thumbsup:

I've put off installing SP2 since it came out, and since after Oct 10th, Windows XP SP1 still loads perfectly.

It's not that she doesn't have SP2 upgrade, that her computer is freezing everytime it loads.. it's probably because of malware, or too many programs running in the background.

Trust you can figure it out....

I also sent for the SP2 CD... it came within a week. I just never installed it! :flowers:

But, I've gotten all the security and critical updates from Windows Update.. and I can still get the latest critical and security updates as of Oct. 24. I expect the Oct. updates are about the last ones... for SP1.

Gotta bite the bullet! :trumpet:

Sunny

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

You need to clean the malware from the computer first, or SP2 may hose your op system if you do not.

Post a HJT log in our Hijack This logs and analysis forum.

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:18 AM

Although I am not a Micr0$oft updater fan, I would definitely recommend anyone using SP1 to update to SP2.

Reason no#1. It's more secure and stable than SP1. If you think SP1 is stable, then you will want the SP2.
Reason no#2. Many, many software manufacturers develope their software for SP2, and NOT SP1, even if they support Win98 or such.

Just like the Windows 98, many people use it and love it, but Windows 98se (second edition) is more stable and secure.

Reason no#3. You're more than likely to have more software problems using that same software on SP1 than with SP2. In other words, as long as you keep SP1 and not update it, most of the software you download and (or) buy from this point on, will be catered to the SP2 and NOT the SP1, and that may account for the software issues that may arrise on your computer.

If you don't want to update to SP2, and you have software and you start to have sparatic problems with your computer, contact the vendor(s) of suspected software(s) and ask them if their XP version is taylored to SP1 or SP2. The majority of them will say SP2.

Then again, SP1 may work for you and you have no problems at all, and that's all that matters. But think about the next software you get.

Walkman
One Man's Opinion

#11 Aberfocation

Aberfocation

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:56 AM

Hmm ok..My microsoft cd comes with the sp1a service pack.so does that means that the next time i reinstall windows i will be unable to install sp2 through microsoft?
Computer Nubie =X

#12 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:57 AM

Just wanted to clear up the support questions on Windows XP SP2. ALL version of Windows XP SP2 will be fully supported till 2010.

I know there have been "E N D L E S S" dates and rumors about this dooms day date when Microsoft walks away, but it's not happening anytime soon. I think 2010 is quite reasonable on Microsoft's part.

If you want to read more on this, click here to read my post.

:thumbsup:

As for not "upgrading" from SP1 -to- SP2, you do realize that you are only getting about 60% of the goodies offered with Windows XP. Microsoft put quite a bit of extras into the SP2 upgrade. Plus, you will want to be at the SP2 level BEFORE SP3 is released if you are on dial up, or you could be at it for a few weeks!

:flowers:

#13 masterofmind1969

masterofmind1969

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

Well I read support for Xp ends in 2010. That's only 3 years then people will be forced to use vista? I don't know about you but i'm not shelling out $300 for a Vista. I'm already looking at linux, pcbsd, and desktopbsd. They have or starting to have user friendly GUI package so check them out. I use xp only when i have to otherwise i'll be using linux or a flavour or bsd os.

If you haven't noticed a lot of people are slowly converting to linux and bsd. Microsoft is getting way to greedy.

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2007 - 03:39 PM

:thumbsup: They also plan on ending support for XP all together 2 years after the release of Vista. At the rate they are coming with that OS, it will be like 2015 when they finally bury XP

Makes sense with what I was reading on engadget.com http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/10/vista-s...-for-late-2009/

Posted Image

#15 fleamour

fleamour

• Members
  • 297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:05 PM

Hmmm...

I just did a fresh install with XP SP1, no probs. It's all in the wording:

"The latest security updates are available for SP2 users only".

In other words you can still update SP1. I would imagine they are legally obliged to provide support for a minimum period of time, I for one would be disgusted if they withdrew support.

Edited by fleamour, 16 February 2007 - 06:09 PM.

ASRock Conroe (micro ATX) - Ubuntu 12.04/Win 7 Ultimate (x86)
Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHz/low profile Noctua (single fan)
4GB OCZ DDR2 RAM, GeForce GT220 1024MB

Vintage IBM-T21 laptop, Xubuntu Lucid LTS
512MB KingSpec RAM, 1GHz CPU [T22 Fan], Wireless-G PCMCIA, 7200RPM HDD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users