Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to connect 2 Notebooks with full access to its partitions / hard disks?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

How can I connect 2 Notebooks (may be in a WLAN) and let them have ful access to a partition / device of the other Notebook? NB 1 shall have full access to partition / drive I: of NB 2 and NB 2 full access to access to partition / drive I: of NB 1 so that I can copy / move data, files, folders (e.g. 1 TB) to those drives / partitions.

The 2 Noteboos are in different rooms, they are both connect to the Internet with a router. Can I keep the Internet connection while the Notebooks would have access to the partition / hard disk of the other Notebook?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

The easiest way is to use the Administrative share, \\Computername\I$, where Computername is replaced with the name of the computer you want to access.  This works if you have an administrative account with a password.

Next up would be to share the I: drive and use it that way.  Having accounts with passwords makes this much easier.  You could create an account called Transfer with a complex password on both machines and use that to connect the machines.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

yes both can have internet while you share drives/folders/files between them.

unfortunately what you propose has great risks.  It is very easy to accidently delete something when remotely connected.  It is not recoverable without preinstalled deleted file recovery software.  If these are system files the other system will cease to work.

I would suggest you only share what you want to edit /park on each and leave the admin share as well as the system files alone.

#4 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:13 PM

Many thanks.

The easiest way is to use the Administrative share, \\Computername\I$, where Computername is replaced with the name of the computer you want to access.  This works if you have an administrative account with a password.

So, is it right, you must have a password or more to do it like that?

It is extremely confusing for me, I am not able to set up such a connection. There seems to be so many different passwords, keys or whatever, so many rights you can give at so many places. Such a folder - \\Computername\I$ - is shown, but I do not get access. I tried some instructions about setting up a WLAN without success.

Next up would be to share the I: drive and use it that way.  Having accounts with passwords makes this much easier.  You could create an account called Transfer with a complex password on both machines and use that to connect the machines.

OK, and that password I would have to enter each time I want to share those partitions / drives, I assume. But I would not need it after starting Win to login?

yes both can have internet while you share drives/folders/files between them.

That is good. I have a working connection for both Laptops to the router / Internet, but how can I involve the two Notebooks to have access to each other?

unfortunately what you propose has great risks.  It is very easy to accidently delete something when remotely connected.

Oops, why is that?

I would suggest you only share what you want to edit /park on each and leave the admin share as well as the system files alone.

Alright, so just the partition I: and may be other drives without C:.

Many thanks again.

Edited by Dirkk, 10 September 2014 - 12:20 PM.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:27 PM

Here is a generic [no mention of what OS] tutorial on how to share files

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/sharing-files-printers-help#sharing-files-and-printers=windows-7&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

I hope this helps. 

#6 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 03:13 AM

Alright, many thanks, Wand3r3r,

I will try that.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#7 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:32 PM

Ather renaming the computer's name(s) the connection to the Internet interrupts after about 1 minute or so, but obviously that only happens when I have both of the Notebooks running / connected to the Internet. So, how could I rename the computers correctly. But I am not sure, that the interruption is caused by that, may be there is another reason. How could I find that out?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:23 PM

Could you clarify what you mean by internet interrupts for a minute or so?  Like all the time or just when you renamed the hosts?

Nothing the notebooks are doing should affect the internet.  Might want to create a new thread concerning your internet access.

Be sure to include;

make/model of router

xirrus wifi inspector screen shot

screen shot of speedtest.net broadband test.

#9 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:16 PM

Could you clarify what you mean by internet interrupts for a minute or so?

The connection to the Internet is broken, there is no access to the Internet anymore after one minute or some time more or less.

Like all the time or just when you renamed the hosts?

The time after I had renamed the computers the problem occurs all the time under the mentioned circumstances. But it nothing might has to do anything with the new names.

Nothing the notebooks are doing should affect the internet.

Sorry, I am not quite sure to understand.

Might want to create a new thread concerning your internet access.

Sorry again, why?

Be sure to include;

make/model of router

xirrus wifi inspector screen shot

screen shot of speedtest.net broadband test.

Very sorry again...ah yes, in another thread, I assume.

Many thanks.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:30 PM

Most forums I have worked at like to have a thread per topic.  Since the topic has changed to internet access from peer to peer networking I would suggest its time for a new post.

Best of luck!

#11 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 03:00 AM

Thank you very much, Wand3r3r.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic