Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mobo gets power but won't start up?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 translunar

translunar

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:46 AM

The title mostly sums up the situation. I posted a thread recently where I tried to find a solution for my then-dead computer, thermal paste fixed the problem. I then ran into a problem where neither the BIOS or POST would load up. I did a few very minor things (like removing components, resetting the CMOS jumper, unplugging the CMOS battery and leaving it loose for 15+ minutes) and nothing has helped.

I know the PSU works since it was running for 3+ hours earlier (I also went overboard and short-circuited, if that's the term, the PSU with a paperclip and it got the PSU fans running), the mobo is receiving power and this is indicated by the built-in onboard power button lighting up green, I have stripped the system to the power cables and HSF, and yet when I press the on-board power button it does absolutely nothing. 

In desperate need of help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:55 AM

Step back, take a deep breath, relax.

Now, go back in there and make sure all the connections are secure. Check to make sure the CMOS battery isn't upside down. Meter the CMOS battery for proper voltage. While you're in there check the MB for capacitors that are broken or leaking. While the CMOS battery is removed, also remove the power plug to the wall. Press the PCs power button several times (hold it down for 5-10 seconds).

Put everything back together (don't forget the CMOS). Try it now.

#3 translunar

translunar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:08 AM

I followed those steps, previous to doing that I had a bare bones setup, but once I plugged everything in the computer turned on with the first push of the power button on the case. Upon further inspection I found that the power button on the motherboard is actually faulty (for what reason, I don't know, and honestly as long as the computer will power up and run I don't care too much. Something for down the road to figure out). Thanks for the help!

#4 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:33 AM

I followed those steps, previous to doing that I had a bare bones setup, but once I plugged everything in the computer turned on with the first push of the power button on the case. Upon further inspection I found that the power button on the motherboard is actually faulty (for what reason, I don't know, and honestly as long as the computer will power up and run I don't care too much. Something for down the road to figure out). Thanks for the help!

Your post is unclear to me, is it working now?

#5 translunar

translunar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:19 PM

it's running (i'm posting from it right now), but i have to power it up by creating a manual circuit where the power button should plug in, and then it will only pass through BIOS and load Windows 1 out of 3 times (which, as stated in my last thread, is a whole different issue that at this point I'll be taking care of after a fews days of rest, so to me I view everything as taken care of). However I did narrow down this particular power problem to a faulty button on the mobo, which  so as far as I see this issue everything has been resolved. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users