Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 reinstall question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JSTJ704

JSTJ704

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:53 PM

Hi I made a windows 7 home prem reinstall disk. If I run and reinstall windows 7 will I loose all my programs and such?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:59 PM

How did you make the disk with?

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:03 PM

Yes. A fresh installation would normally involve wiping the drive clean and formatting it, thus you would lose everything.

There is way to do a new Win 7 installation that would not overwrite your data, but you would lose all your programs.

All is well in Paradise.

#4 JSTJ704

JSTJ704
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

Hi I made a windows 7 home prem reinstall disk. If I run and reinstall windows 7 will I loose all my programs and such?

I downloaded it from digitalriver and made the ISO file to run on dvd. I put the dvd in and it works. I made just incase I need it.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:07 PM

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Louis

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

It's always a good idea to have it on hand, both for it's repair capacities, or for a full installation.

The day you need it, you'll be glad you have it all prepared and ready to go.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

What is going on which makes you believe that your only option is to do a fresh installation?

It would help if you post the make and model of this computer. 

Most computer now come with a System Recovery partition rather than a installation disk.  This will effectively be a fresh installation of the operating system.  If you use the disc to make the installation or the System Recovery partition they will both format the C: partition and you will lose all of your data, programs install from a disc or downloaded, e-mail client address book, etc.  So you should save all of your important data to a removable form of media, like an external hdd, flash drive, DVDs or CDs, etc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

I see your question has been answered many times over.  Yes, it's a good thing to keep a Windows 7 disk around as it may come in handy some time or the other.

I see too that mention is made about a recovery partition.  If Windows came pre-installed then it should have such a partition.  The manufacturer usually provides a way to restore to factory condition from this partition.  In doing so it will restore everything to like when it first came from the factory.

Whether you restore from that partition or use the installation disk you made it will wipe out all personal data and installed programs.

There is one important point that wasn't made, and that is a factory restore will restore all the system's drivers that were made for your computer and you won't have to go hunting for them.  On the other hand, if you use the installation disk, Windows may install generic drivers and you will have to find the correct ones (usually from the manufacturer).

Edited by Agouti, 10 September 2014 - 04:20 PM.

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:01 PM

There are good and bad aspects of recovering an OEM system vs a clean install, but the most obvious one in favour of the fresh install, is when the client/op has a dead hard drive and needs installation media for the new hard drive.

That aside, the OEM definitely has its merits, specially for the non tech savvy who might find it difficult to find all the right drivers, etc.

It appears that the OP has just acquired this Win 7 DVD for the sake of being prepared for the future, and I applaud the concept.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users