Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU fan failures + Graphical issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Nal

Nal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

Hi, I've been using my computer for a long time now <1 year and my hyper 212 evo fan has stopped working, the fan just suddenly stopped working, literally. I replaced it with my stock one, note I have an FX 8320. The next day, I go and play a game, one of my three monitors loses its connection (I think it was the cable) then stuff started flickering, I turned it off and back on and I saw nothing. I then took out the CPU cooler and put it back in, now its functional again. What should I do? I've heard good things about this forum and I don't know where I should put this. My temps now are currently all under 45 on idle

http://i.imgur.com/8QBO1qS.png Temps on speedfan

http://i.imgur.com/lFET7wB.png Temps/Specs on Speccy

I'm really nervous on what to do.

Edited by Nal, 09 September 2014 - 05:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:08 PM

There's a possibility that you did not have the heatsink properly set the first time when you ran into problems, poor contact will cause the cpu to run slower so it won't overheat itself, which could have caused the erratic behavior you experienced the first time....Use HWMonitor to keep a track of your cpu temps just in case

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

#3 Nal

Nal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

There's a possibility that you did not have the heatsink properly set the first time when you ran into problems, poor contact will cause the cpu to run slower so it won't overheat itself, which could have caused the erratic behavior you experienced the first time....Use HWMonitor to keep a track of your cpu temps just in case

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I already removed the fan and now using the stock, so that's out of the equasion.

WX7Z6ix.png

This is what I see, I was just playing a game so

Edited by Nal, 09 September 2014 - 05:25 PM.

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:21 PM

The temps look good, but your +12v and +5v looks way out of spec, you might need a better power supply

What do you currently use for your power supply? Name brand and wattage?

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:17 AM

What's the problem? The temperatures look fine.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:22 AM

The temps look good, but your +12v and +5v looks way out of spec, you might need a better power supply

This could also be an issue with HWMonitor.  On mine it reads most of the voltages completely wrong.  This wouldn't be running if the voltages reported here were right.  Best way to verify is with a multi meter.

65hBfJs.png

7sbvuf-6.png

#7 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 917 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:14 AM

Yup... looks like HWMonitor isn't picking up the sensors correctly or the sensors are off. I agree a volt meter is the most accurate. Speed Fans voltages look wrong too, and I did not see what Speccy reports because I can't get the link to show anything

#8 Nal

Nal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:11 PM

some cheap-o one.

I really need to get something better.

thermaltake t60 iirc?

What's the problem? The temperatures look fine.

This is the stock fan. Not my aftermarket one.

Yup... looks like HWMonitor isn't picking up the sensors correctly or the sensors are off. I agree a volt meter is the most accurate. Speed Fans voltages look wrong too, and I did not see what Speccy reports because I can't get the link to show anything

I thought amd and sensors were not the most optimal

Edited by Nal, 10 September 2014 - 07:11 PM.

#9 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 02:13 AM

I don't think you need to do anything about the fan since the temps are ok.

Is the 3rd monitor always blank now? I'm still not sure what the problem is.

#10 Nal

Nal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:08 PM

I don't think you need to do anything about the fan since the temps are ok.

Is the 3rd monitor always blank now? I'm still not sure what the problem is.

I thought I clarified this, the fan used in this was the stock cooler. Should I spray the inside of my fan with a lubricant? I've heard that'll fix it. Also I think it was a graphical issue since I took out my motherboard and put it back in.

#11 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:40 AM

Correct me if I am still not getting it, but I think you are saying that the graphical problems are gone now, and that your stock fan works just fine. So I think you are saying your only problem is you want to fix your aftermarket fan even though you don't need to. Sorry, I don't have any advice on fixing those fans.

#12 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:51 AM

You can replace the Evo 212 fan with almost any standard 120mm fan (PWM fan recommended). They don,t cost much. This is a far better option than trying to fix a broken fan.

A Noctua NF-F12 is a very good option, but quite expensive or something like the Arctic F12 PWM is a cheaper option.  Both are fairly quiet fans with high airflow.

As for the monitor, flickering does sound connection related.  Try disconnecting both ends of the cable and reconnect firmly.  Something as simple as re-making the connection can help.  If that doesn't work try another cable.

Edited by jonuk76, 12 September 2014 - 07:52 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users