Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB pendrive I/O error

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kaushik Rocking

Kaushik Rocking

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 04:46 PM

One day one of my friends gave me his kingston 4GB pendrive to solve some format problem. After getting it I saw some files of about 30-200 kb with some unreadeble names. I tried to format it but got 'windows was unable to complete the format'. Then tried cmd format. Then it showed about I/O error. I edited its registry to remove writing protection reading some forums. But I failed. Now it is showing without any memory show(like format stopped during process) and unaccessable too. What can I do? Please help :ph34r:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

Probably not much more than bin it - sorry !

For what it is worth, the first step to try on a memory stick like this is something like Recuva (free download - www.piriform.com) or some other recovery software to see if you can recover any of the data that may be on it.

If you are feeling adventurous there is a topic somewhere in BC - I think here in 'External hardware' - about actually physically repairing a USB stick by changing the crystal. It seems that these crystals can go off frequency and make them unreadable. If the data was critical, I might try it - but routinely for the price of a 4Gb stick - no.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:07 PM

Whenever I have issues like these with USB drives, I try this out first, maybe it will help;

*This process will wipe anything on the drive*

Open an elevated command prompt (right click cmd.exe and run as administrator)

Type these commands

"diskpart"

"list disk"

"select disk #" The # refers to the USB drive, you should be able to see which is which based on the size listed

"clean"

"create partition primary"

"exit"

Now you should be able to use it, or you may need to format it once more.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#4 Kaushik Rocking

Kaushik Rocking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:12 PM

I have already tried cmd cleaning but with no results. I dont want to recover the datas inside it and just to any how format and make it clean.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:45 PM

Sorry my friend, but, as I said in Post #2, if what you have tried hasn't worked the memory stick is dead. It happens.Your friend is just going to have to get a new one.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Kaushik Rocking

Kaushik Rocking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2014 - 06:56 PM

Ok, when solution by crystal change arises how can I do it?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 13 September 2014 - 07:05 PM

This is the page explaining the crystal repair. You may want to look at these web page also.

http://www.flashdrive-repair.com/2012/12/how-to-repair-usb-flash-drive-in-three.html

http://www.flashdrive-repair.com/2014/02/best-usb-flash-drive-repair-software-recovery-format.html

http://www.flashdrive-repair.com/2013/04/repair-any-kingstone-flash-drive-in-one.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users