Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP-Photosmart-C4700-series CMD:PCL

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

I was trying to find out if I could program my printer from my Linux Mint17 Mate OS, as in the ink levels and all other functions.  The printer already works but I can only make changes to it in Windows XP.  If Ioose windows xp I won't be able to make these changes.  I am in no hurry just preparing for the future.  I did ask this question to the Ubuntu-one peeps at: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html

I asked this question because my particular printer was not on the supported list or any other list.  It is a very common inexpensive printer so I thought that something would be available for it.

I will post the content here just to get any opinions before I make a move:  

My Question:

I would like to be able to control my hp-photosmart-c4700-series CMD:PCL while in Linux Mint17 Mate. I am able to print fine but want the software that is available in windows to control ink levels and such. The only way I can make changes is to go to my windows XP install and make changes, but if I lose this O.S. I will not be able to do this anymore. I am trying to prepare ahead.

Answer:

Hi,

You can download the latest hplip 3.14.6 driver, "hplip-3.14.6.run" file from http:// and run command "sh hplip-3.14.6.run" in terminal to install the driver.

Next, run command "hp-setup" to configure the printer and run command "hp-toolbox" to work with functionality of the printer.

Command "hp-levels" will help to check on the Ink levels on printer.

Please let us know if this helps to answer your question.

Thanks,
Goutam

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 K6567

K6567

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:27 AM

I don't know if this is helpful to you, but if you are using the printer with a wireless connection you can use the printers assigned IP-address to get ink levels and other pertinent info via a browser. 

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

I was trying to find out if I could program my printer from my Linux Mint17 Mate OS, as in the ink levels and all other functions. The printer already works but I can only make changes to it in Windows XP. If Ioose windows xp I won't be able to make these changes. I am in no hurry just preparing for the future. I did ask this question to the Ubuntu-one peeps at: http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/support.html

I asked this question because my particular printer was not on the supported list or any other list. It is a very common inexpensive printer so I thought that something would be available for it.

I will post the content here just to get any opinions before I make a move:

You might already have hplip on your computer, albeit not the latest version.

Try pasting:
dpkg -l hplip
in a terminal, and see what it says.

Edited by Al1000, 10 September 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

Ooo, that is some tasty info. guys thank you!

K6567, I don't have wireless anymore due to health issues, I had to return all my comcast stuff.  However I am interested in this and would love to know how to do it.  I was also wondering how the address is entered into the search box.  This is not the same topic but I have also wondered how a person checks their router info via. IP address? browser history and such ya know.  As soon as I get wirless again I will look into the IP address to see how it works. 

Thanks Al1000, I was wondering if it was already there? I am very timid about all this computer stuff and sometimes the answers a person gets are not complete.  So this is very good that I can check to see if it is there, and a good link, hope I can follow it.

It seems as though I just copy paste all three lines of that command and hit enter.

I don't really know what this means, I'm guessing it is not installed.

hplip-3143-Oubuni386_zps4e5c1c72.png

Edited by pcpunk, 10 September 2014 - 01:57 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

Yes it looks like you have an older version there and it isn't installed.

Here's a better way to install the latest version through the terminal, which involves installing it from a Linux repository using apt-get, rather than downloading it from sourceforge.net using wget. (I will delete the link I posted in my previous post in favour of this one)

Method 1:
To install the latest version of HPLIP driver by using a PPA, execute the following:

open a terminal (Applications > Accessoiries > Terminal)
type the following command: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:hplip-isv/ppa
press Enter and if needed, type the required password
type the following command: sudo apt-get update
then type the following command: sudo apt-get install hplip

https://sites.google.com/site/tipsandtricksforubuntu/printer-info/hplip-driver

Then it should just be a matter of setting it up, using the commands you posted in your OP.

Edited by Al1000, 10 September 2014 - 03:03 PM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:06 PM

Al1000, it says on one of those sites that if there is a "ii" before the hplip in the terminal then it is installed, so it is installed as seen in the terminal pic I posted.  I checked in the Software Manager to confirm and it is installed.  The question is, do I need the newer one.  I think I do because I don't see anywhere to adjust the ink output like I can do in windows.  I guess I will install the newer one to try and get all functions that I want.   

What is the difference between this: hplip-gui

and this:  hplip

Will the hplip-gui get me more functions or will I just need to install the newer hplip?

Edit:  I went and installed the hplip-gui, and it appears to be what I needed - I will test it tonight when printer is connected to laptop and report back.  I just wanted to avoid any downloads that were unnecessary as I always read about not doing so if not needed.  It was not clear if I needed the newer software as mine is not in the list so I will just test it out, if needed I will get the newer one.

Edited by pcpunk, 10 September 2014 - 07:18 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:31 AM

That's interesting. That means I have it installed as well, even though I use mtink for Epson. hplip must come installed by default. hplip-gui is most likely the graphical user interface for hplip, which would mean you can run it from the desktop instead of using a terminal.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:09 PM

Yes Al1000, that is the case, but the hplip-gui needed to be installed from the S.M. and the hplip was installed by default.  The gui allows one to make many changes but not the ONE! that I wanted as far as I can tell, lol-omg.  I wanted to be able to adjust the ink output, repeat - which I have done in windows but want to be able to do in Linux also.

I am going to reply to the email I got from Ubuntu-one and ask if I am doing it right.  It appears that I will have to get the newer software anyhow to do this, but maybe not even with the new stuff I don't know.  Quite easily done in windows? what's up Linux?  Again with all the confusion, with the MOST supported printer for Linux?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:56 PM

I tried the directions that Ubuntu-one told me to do after downloading the hplip 3.14.6, it did not work!

Can I just run and an Update command in the Terminal for this.  Now I got this software downloaded that I can do nothing with lol omg Linux.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:58 PM

I tried the directions that Ubuntu-one told me to do after downloading the hplip 3.14.6, it did not work!

Can you post the instructions please.

Now I got this software downloaded that I can do nothing with lol omg Linux.

What software, You may need to install it.

Edited by NickAu1, 11 September 2014 - 04:59 PM.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:34 PM

Nick, the directions are in the orig. first post here under Answer:  The answer was not right anyhow so I got it figured out, now I need to see if it helps me with adjusting ink output, I'm too tired now to do so lol.  I trusted that site to help me with what I thought would be a simple command to install this Updated printer software?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

My bad i should have read the first post.

You can download the latest hplip 3.14.6 driver, "hplip-3.14.6.run" file from http:// and run command "sh hplip-3.14.6.run" in terminal to install the driver.

This is the way you install it.

First place the hplip-3.14.6.run in the home/desktop, I am using home/desktop you can use Downloads folder or create a new 1.

Now open terminal and type.

cd Desktop

Hit enter

Now type

ls

Hit enter

Now type

sh

And copy the highlighted bit in the screen shot. and paste it behind the sh remember to leave a space. see screenshot.
snapshot8.png

I hope it helps

Edited by NickAu1, 12 September 2014 - 01:59 AM.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,728 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:30 PM

Deleted Hit wrong button on wrong thing,

Edited by NickAu1, 12 September 2014 - 01:57 AM.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:04 AM

It's installed but the instructions that I followed were crap and had to basically guess at how to enter the commands.  This was done from a website I will post later, gotta go now.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

Deleted Hit wrong button on wrong thing,

Don't know what this means Nick?

This is where I got the directions:  http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html

I did not get it to work right and now the default install is not installed.  I really don't know what happened except that I was not able to have the printer connected while doing the install.

Nick I will try your way at some point today or tonight, I might have to move my printer to a place that I can get some internet connection.  My health has not been good and the worst thing is I can't think real well and follow some of this stuff.  I am sure it won't be an issue as soon as I get the energy to try it again.  Until then, like I said, it works and I am using it to write important letters and print them out.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users