Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System76, Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:18 PM

These look very impressive, I don't really need help buying one just wanted others to see them.  They are quite impressive but expensive also.  I am interested to know more about them though if anyone is knowledgeable.  Whom are they using for the cases and such.

Perhaps this should be in another section I don't know, seems relevant enough.

https://system76.com/laptops/model/kudp1

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

It looks to me like they are the one manufacturing the cases, but I could very well be wrong. Also, I don't see how Ubuntu can be such a huge selling point, you could just buy any laptop and install it for free. The specs look fairly decent for the price, but it doesn't really look to me like you save anything by not buying a Windows laptop.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#3 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:40 AM

Yeah, I would have to +1 Aerys here.

I believe that for that type of cash you could get a pretty nice laptop and install any Linux OS right next to Windows, like you've got now.

Except, of course, I would not recommend Ubuntu.

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,299 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

I see, perhaps it is based on the support received with the purchase? that is the only thing I can see that would be of benefit.  I suppose there is more to it than I would know.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,299 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2014 - 05:26 PM

While researching this I found this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2233722

Some good info. there of one persons experience.  There are some other experiences there too with other pc's that one might find useful.  Again they appear impressive but don't get the point like others have expressed.  Why not get something else that comes with another mainstream OS? that will be a much better tool to have.  I was thinking this System76 would have  been an be an impressive upper end product.  After reading the link above it seems as though I am wrong again.  Perhaps this is just someone's opinion but it seems quite honest and well documented.  I love this kind of feedback this is what the www is for! 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users