Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 8 unsigned driver workaround?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 grey83

grey83

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

Along with many other issues with Win 8, they have made it so that unsigned drivers can't be installed. I'm trying to root my Tegra Note 7 but win 8 won't let me use drivers that are required. There is a statement on rootjunky.com that mentions that drivers have to be installed manually but I don't know how to do this, anyone have an idea about this. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

Go into your recovery system and work your way to the option called Startup Settings. One of the options will allow you to disable driver signature enforcement on the next boot up.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 AngryHan

AngryHan

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:32 AM

Hijacking this thread to ask - if you re-enable driver signature enforcement, will it interfere with the unsigned driver that has already been installed?

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:13 AM

No it won't.

For starters, the option to disable the signed driver enforcement is exclusively for the next boot up, just like if you chose to go to Safe Mode, the next boot up would default back to the normal boot up.

As for the other part of your question, once the driver has been permitted to be installed, there is no future issue, unless you needed to uninstall it and re-install it, as we sometimes do when troubleshooting.

All is well in Paradise.

#5 grey83

grey83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:31 AM

Thanks rockysosua for your help, I hate to be a PITA but I can't find the start up settings you mentioned in recovery system. I'll keep trying.

#6 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:43 AM

You're not a PITA.

What's a PITA is that Windows has Recovery options in the Control panel and it also has some in the new Metro tile section, so it's no wonder you didn't know where to find it.

I'm doing this by memory, so might not have the exact words, but the path should be good enough for you to get there.

Pull out the Charms bar and hit the Settings icon, then Hit PC Settings at the bottom.

On the subsequent page that opens up, hit the General tab, then scroll down to the very bottom of the page where there will be an option that offers to restart into recovery (can't remember the term they use, but it's the last option on that page.

Once you get into the recovery area, you'll be looking for "Advanced Start up" (or something similar), so on that first page, you'll hit 'Troubleshoot", then on the next one, "Advanced Settings" (or something similar) and on the third and last page, you'll see the advanced start up option and you click on it and a confirmation page will open up, then you hit OK and after a small reboot, you'll come to a page that allows you to choose the options by number, so type in the number to the option that corresponds to disabling the driver signing enforcement and then it'll boot up and you'll be able to install that driver.

All is well in Paradise.

#7 grey83

grey83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:41 PM

I got it ! Thanks mon, again for your help and also for AngryHan's question, I wouldn't have thought of that.

#8 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:49 PM

Good job. Congrats.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users