Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is there any way for a website to identify me, other than thru the IP address?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 krs000a

krs000a

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:02 AM

Hello,

Well, I have a dynamic IP address that changes, but even after it changed a certain website recognizes me somehow and won't let me sign up. How can they know it's me if the IP address has changed since my previous visit?

Edited by krs000a, 09 September 2014 - 08:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

Cookies....remove all cookies and temporary files.

You can use CCleaner for that. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck any offers of toolbars...especially Yahoo.

No need to use the Registry Cleaning tool and it has the ability to cause problems.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

You may have software installed by the website. Check in add/ remove and browser(s) add-ons.

This time, if you are successful in opening a new account, obey the rules...:)

It may also be the case that entire block of IP addresses have been blocked by the site. Not necessarily

because of your account. It could also be that your computer has been blocked because of spam or other malicious content.

One place to check: Blocklist Removal Center - The Spamhaus Project

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:23 PM

Thanks! :-) I will try it.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:08 AM

Suggested new screen name....Reincarnated... :crazy:

This takes a bit more effort...but will not allow anything stored on your hdd from being viewed.

Create a Linux LIVE DVD or LIVE flash drive. It will only use the RAM while running...not the hdd.

Any info stored on the hdd would not be visible to any website while using the LIVE media. Of course,

the IP address would normally be visible.

Edited by buddy215, 10 September 2014 - 07:59 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

But where would the Linux Live DVD store cookies and such? I'm sorry I never used Linux so I'm not familiar at all how that works.

Edited by krs000a, 11 September 2014 - 10:03 AM.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:45 AM

Once you exit a LIVE session/ shut down the computer, there would be no record stored on the computer....including cookies.

You can completely remove hdd and still be able to go online and use the browser to email, watch videos, log into forums etc.

and none of that will be saved once you exit the LIVE session.

Downloading a Linux distro and installing onto a flash drive can be accomplished using the Universal USB Installer. Ubuntu

would be a good choice. A small 4 GB drive will work. No need to install as persistent.

Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux

Linux Live disks or flash drives come in very handy. Lots of tools available and FREE!.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users