Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to show all of the programs on 2 different display sizes in the best way?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dirkk

Dirkk

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:28 AM

I have to two Notebooks, a 15,6'' one and a 18,4'' one. And I have the identically programs / data on both ones. When I set up a program to fit the display of the 18,4-Notebook it won't fit the 15,6'' display of the other one. So, e.g. the tool bars of Firefox on the big display are like I want them to have, but on the 15,6'' display they are not.

Is there a way to make all of the programs automatically fit best to both of the displays?

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,297 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:07 PM

While I am not completely clear on what you mean, I may be able to offer a couple of pointers. My normal computer is used with a 24 inch screen with a native resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixcels but I also use laptops typically with resolution about 1330 x 760 ( give or take - I don't have one on at the moment) and both Firefox and Excel look very similar. The only difference is at 100% viewing you don't get as many cells in the Excel display on the laptop.

In general, the operating system does a very good job of fitting your applications to the screen, but if you really do want them identical, then you are going to have to reduce the resolution on your larger screen to match that of the smaller one, since I doubt you will be able to increase the resolution of the smaller one. To my mind, this would seem a waste of resolution. You could achieve the same effect by narrowing the size of your Firefox window on the larger screen a little, and it comes up at the same size it was at the last time when you re-start it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:10 PM

Are you suggesting that when you make adjustments for certain programs on one machine, it affects the other, or have I completely misunderstood you?

All is well in Paradise.

#4 Dirkk

Dirkk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 274 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2014 - 05:59 AM

Strange, no notification e-mail.

Many thanks, Chris.

In general, the operating system does a very good job of fitting your applications to the screen, but if you really do want them identical, then you are going to have to reduce the resolution on your larger screen to match that of the smaller one, since I doubt you will be able to increase the resolution of the smaller one. To my mind, this would seem a waste of resolution.

Yes, indeed. A waste of room.

You could achieve the same effect by narrowing the size of your Firefox window on the larger screen a little, and it comes up at the same size it was at the last time when you re-start it.

Yes, but doing that would mean you somehow will lose the advantage of a bigger display (in this case, for Firefox). So, if that would happen automatically, if Firefox completely would use the (advantage of a) bigger screen and automatically would be adapted to the smaller display without undisplaying bookmarks which cannot be shown anymore on the smaller screen. I assume, what I mean will not be possible, is depending of the settings by each single program and one would have to adjust it for each single program.

Many thanks again.

Windows 10 Home, 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users