Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wscript.exe - Application error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_NipNip1964_*

Guest_NipNip1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:22 AM

Hello

Could anyone help a fairly non tech-savvy user please?

Dell Inspiron 7720 laptop.

Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Recently, whenever I power-on the laptop and let Windows boot up, I receive the above error message on the desktop.  The message also says 'The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000018).  Click OK to close the application'.  I click OK and the message disappears.  I'm not aware of it affecting anything I do after this.  The only things I'm aware of doing before the problem occurred was disabling Windows Defender and installing Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, and also installing the August Microsoft updates (and subsequent update-updates!).  I have run CCleaner and its Registry sweep and also run anti-malware scans using Kaspersky IS and Malwarebytes AM Premium.

What is wscript.exe and what do I need to do to correct this?

Thank you :)

Edited by NipNip1964, 09 September 2014 - 06:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_NipNip1964_*

Guest_NipNip1964_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:03 PM

Update

I subsequently discovered that IE 11 (iexplore.exe) and Java (javaw.exe) also wouldn't start, with the same error message/code above.  I use Firefox, so wasnt immediately aware of the IE issue.

To cut a long story short, it looks like there's a conflict with Malwarebytes Anti Exploit Software.  Uninstalling this and rebooting caused the errors to disappear.  Downloading/resinstalling this caused the errors to recur.

I'm trying to pursue this on the Malwarebytes Forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users