Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data shift from old HDD to new SSD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 redone

redone

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:53 AM

Hi to all

I had a Dell XPS 1645 with a  500GB Seagate Momentus 7200.4 installed. The laptop was in full home network with file sharing etc all operating so the laptop Seagate HDD should still have all the information I require. It was getting a little tired but still worked fine. I was given a Samsung 512GB 840 Pro as a gift. I swapped it into the laptop as I had no other use for it, at the time, and it made a huge difference. Data transfer went smoothly, all was well. A few months later an unrelated event in a GPU collapse occurred, stuffed the laptop.. Wasn't worth the full repair costs. Before dumping the laptop I removed the SSD.

In the meantime I did a complete (serious) rebuild of my custom desktop and installed a  Samsung 830 x 128 GB as os with a Samsung 1 TB as storage drive.

The laptop had been a Windows 7 Pro and the PC A windows 7 Home. I had legitimate codes for both so, as a stopgap, temporary measure, I put the 512GB 840 Pro with Pro O/S installed in the PC. All went well with another Samsung 1 TB as the secondary drive (not in RAID). Then the 830 SSD collapsed, just out of warrant by a few days.

.  I did a complete reinstall back to Windows 7 Home Premium on the  512 x 840 SSD as main and re-installed the 1 TB as storage. I have no idea how or why but during the process of the complete re-install the data from the 1 TB drive was completely wiped. I remember happier experiences!

So now I'm stuck with my 840 Pro with O/S and some data but the bulk of my important files were wiped. I have the 1TB installed but not connected. What I need to do is to connect the original 500 Seagate that was installed originally in the laptop and extract the files I need from it and move them into one of the drives in the main PC. I do not want to setup the Seagate in the PC as it has the Win  Professional O/S still installed and it will conflict with the win 7 Home Premium already install as the O/S. My best option, as I see it, is to extract all the files to the 1 TB storage drive and reset that as storage.

Odd set of events but sometimes bleep happens. 

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:37 AM

If you don't want to actually install the Seagate in the PC, then you will need an external enclosure for the HDD so you can transfer data.

#3 redone

redone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:06 PM

Elfbane

Thank you for your time and assistance. 

I had figured that that would be the only way to go, just wanted to make absolutely sure...

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

A slave drive requires no activation, therefore Windows doesn't even look for it.

If you wanted to boot the PC with the old Seagate, then you could have issues.

The easy way to do this is to swap out the DVD cables to the Seagate from which you want the data and you'll have full fast access to it.

A USB external adapter, will work of course, if you have one.

All is well in Paradise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users