Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Windows XP back onto the Dell Latitude D610 - Help?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wise2TheLies

Wise2TheLies

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:40 PM

Greetings, I am Anthony. I will get right to it. 

I have a Dell Latitude D610 Laptop/notebook. Originally I got it used and it had Windows XP, and did not come with any discs, drivers, etc...

However I wasn't a fan of XP, So I converted this computer to Vista. 

This was a bad idea. Vista freezes, alot, while doing almost nothing. Registering to this site and creating this topic lags very bad. 

When XP was on this computer, the computer ran very well for this low end hardware. 

I have about 1GB ram, and the 1.8 cpu Pentium M category. When I had XP, I could play my favorite game and have background programs running/minimized. The game is Star Wars Battlefront 2(or Battlefront one) - These games are from the 2004-2005 and have very low hardware requirements. 

Those games ran very good on XP.

On Vista, I can barely load the game. I begin either game, and it takes well over 2 minutes to load up - and reach the start screen. It takes another eternity to load any levels. 

The games load SO slow that joining internet servers times me out. 

The game and web browsing slowness is just examples of how Vista is currently sucking. 

Here is where the problem pops in...

I cannot find a way to re-install XP. I have an XP disc, but it is not made for this computer. 

-Booting from this disc results in "Line 1 of the file..... blah blah blah is invalid"

I have tried various things, including installing Windows 7. (Windows 7 on this computer failed bad, no hardware worked - went back to Vista)

I got desperate enough to illegally torrent several different versions of Windows XP, which of course always end up failing... won't boot, gives boot errors.. and so on.

Note I am not trying to break any forum rules by talking about illegal software.

I need to know what I need or what I need to do install XP Back on this computer. I am very desperate. I prefer fast XP, over sloppy slow Vista any day. 

I would prefer only professional responses from people who know how to deal with these issues, instead of poking me with gibberish questions.

Computer specs currently:

Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. (32 Bit computer)

1GB Ram

1.8 CPU Intel Pentium M

(google search the computer model for info, I didn't change any hardware)

I do have a better computer running Windows 7, with 2GB ram and a 2.2 cpu. 

I still very badly want to fix this computer to use as a backup.

Thanks you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

I would prefer only professional responses from people who know how to deal with these issues, instead of poking me with gibberish questions.

No need to worry about that, all volunteers here.

Contact Dell and they can probably sell you an OEM WinXP disk for that model. That should solve the loading problem, and the drivers should be slip-streamed into the install disk (make sure before you buy). Professional enough for you?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users