Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Issue with displaying a certain web page

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tmatys

tmatys

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:39 PM

I was going to uninstall IE7, then, was going to download the latest version. I went into uninstall software, and I couldn't find MS IE so that I could uninstall it?

Thanks, Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GavinCarden

GavinCarden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:30 AM

You should not need to uninstall IE7 to upgrade it. You will find the automatic update in your Windows Updates. Do you currently have automatic updateing enabled ?

#3 tmatys

tmatys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

It is my friend's laptop, and he hasn't kept up with updating anything. It is about 8 years old. Really, its a mess. He could not display one website. So, I just wanted to uninstall IE altogether, and download a fresh copy. There is a lot more that needs to be done to his PC, but I just want hime to be able to display a certain website that he can open at home, but not on his laptop. I am also going to try Firefox or Chrome if he still has an issue. His PC needs so many updates and cleaning up. but wamted to get a browser trhat would work for all websites in the meantime.

Thanks, Tom

#4 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:20 AM

Hello there,

I agree with Gavin that the best way to upgrade to the latest IE version is to do it through "Windows update". Here is how:

1. Open Windows update by clicking the "Start button", click "All Programs, and then click "Windows Update. 

2. In the left panel, click "Check for updates", and then wait while Windows looks for the latest updates for your computer

3. If any updates are found, click "Install updates". 

Hope this helps!

Edited by masterthemachines, 09 September 2014 - 08:41 AM.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:18 AM

I was going to uninstall IE7, then, was going to download the latest version. I went into uninstall software, and I couldn't find MS IE so that I could uninstall it?

You cannot uninstall IE.  It is an integral part of Windows.  I agree with the advice of the others.  The first step you need to take is to turn on Automatic Updates and fully update Windows before you proceed with anything else.

#6 GavinCarden

GavinCarden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:24 AM

You cannot uninstall IE.  It is an integral part of Windows.  I agree with the advice of the others.  The first step you need to take is to turn on Automatic Updates and fully update Windows before you proceed with anything else.

Also Make sure you make a system restore point (At a minimum) Keep in mind as well that updates can be resource intensive when they are installed and leave quite the mess that can slow things down after wards. Make sure you run a disk clean after you install the updates and have verified that the pc is functioning properly.  A tidy drive is a happy Drive!!   :thumbup2:

And if all else fails  Follow the instructions below to the letter

:smash:

Edited by GavinCarden, 09 September 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

As mentioned above, IE7 is an integral part of Windows and cannot be uninstalled.

As for upgrading to IE8, you just install it over IE7.

If you don't want to do it by Windows Updates, you can download it direct from here.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:23 PM

Outdated versions of IE...are not welcome at some websites, same holds true for IE8 since unsupported XP is the last bastion of IE8.  Websites do this for your protection.

Louis

#9 tmatys

tmatys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

I Thank-You all for this feedback. The message is pretty clear.

Regards, Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users