Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems opening Java files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 peteranko

peteranko

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:10 PM

I had an unwanted malware problem with Java and deleted it. Took some time to find out what it was and just got rid of the lot.

Now I've tried to re-download Java to my PC and it won't let me. 

Every time I go to down load a Java page it comes up with "web page is not available".

Does anyone know what I did wrong or if there is something else wrong?

Thank you.

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2014 - 04:45 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

:bowdown:  :busy:

Anko

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

I always download Java from http://www.filehippo.com/search?q=java+runtime and it installs no problem.

I would do an anti-virus scan and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware scan to make sure everything is clear.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 peteranko

peteranko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hi Keithup,

Thank you for your kind reply and link,

I just downloaded it and thought it was great. However I still can't open certain web pages that I think are run on a Java platform.

Anko

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:32 AM

Please post a link of a website that you think uses Java. Other than some chatrooms and games, most websites haven't used Java for years. You could be mistaken.

#5 peteranko

peteranko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:00 PM

Hi Frank,

I think now it's a little more sinister. I'm now finding my PC won't open web pages like LG website and a few different ones.

I have Bitdefender but it doesn't seem to be finding anything wrong with my PC except the some malware that it removes each time it does a scan. 

Not sure what's going on now. Probably a big problem that I don't know what to do or how to deal with it.

I have tried to take screen shots of the pages but It won't paste into here for some reason.

Does anyone have any ideas of what may be happening here.

Anko

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 04:51 AM

I think it's time for you to post at Am I Infected and see if you are clean.

#7 peteranko

peteranko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:30 AM

How do I go about doing that. 

Is there a  place to go and work out what needs to be done. I have Malwarebites and it's not showing much in it.

Anko

#8 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:17 AM

Am I infected? What do I do? Forum - BleepingComputer.com

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

You haven't said what you need java for, do you have a desktop program that requires it? if not you don't need it at all. To download it you are best to use oracle's own website, making sure to uncheck whatever spam they try to bundle with it( go through the custom install route). It won't be full verification of whether you are clean or infected but eset online scanner (available from this site) and kaspersky virus removal tool are good for second/third/fourth opinion scanners, set both of them to scan in as much detail as possible for malware, unwanted programs,vulnerable programs and adware but set them to detect and not remove as they can attack legitimate things by mistake, better to set them on "prompt on detection" rather than "automatically disinfect".

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#10 peteranko

peteranko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

Hi rp88,

I've gone to Am I infected and will see what needs to be done from there as I'm finding it wasn't with Java that I was having an issue. It was just that Java didn't open up and I thought it has to do with other web pages not opening. So it must be some sort of malware or virus that has infected my system.

Anko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users