Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Only works in Bios and Cannot Reset Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 leeisthebomb

leeisthebomb

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:42 PM

Already reformatted my C: Drive and my D: Drive which means that the partitions should be there and also because of the reformatting there should be no memory on it.  However, when I try to leave Bios, the computer turns off all USB's and I must use in a plug in keyboard to navigate the installation/repair page for windows 8.  By the time I can click on "reset computer" or "install windows 8", it states that I am missing a drive partition and cannot reset.  What to do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:37 AM

1) What are you doing in bios?

2) EXACTLY how did you reformat?

3) There may be a setting in bios to enable USB support at boot. Look for it and enable it. Then press F10 to accept the change and exit bios]

4) When you say there should be no memory, I believe what you mean to say is that there should be no "data" - memory is ram.

#3 leeisthebomb

leeisthebomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:23 AM

1) What are you doing in bios?

2) EXACTLY how did you reformat?

3) There may be a setting in bios to enable USB support at boot. Look for it and enable it. Then press F10 to accept the change and exit bios]

4) When you say there should be no memory, I believe what you mean to say is that there should be no "data" - memory is ram.

1)  I was in BIOS just to see whether or not the usb works and thankfully it works in BIOS meaning that it's not the usb port itself that isnt working.

2)  I went into command prompt and used /format c:.

3)  I tried this already but when I try to repair/install windows 8 again it says that I am missing a disk partition.

4)  Yes I'm sorry about the wrong term.  The RAM wasn't touched, just the data in the harddrives themselves.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:08 PM

How did you get to the command prompt to format? From within Windows or did you boot to something?

I don't understand your response to #3. There should be a setting in bios to enable usb at boot. Did you find it? If so, did you enable it?

#5 leeisthebomb

leeisthebomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:19 PM

How did you get to the command prompt to format? From within Windows or did you boot to something?

I don't understand your response to #3. There should be a setting in bios to enable usb at boot. Did you find it? If so, did you enable it?

#6 leeisthebomb

leeisthebomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:23 PM

I had to use a plug in keyboard in order to get to the advanced settings for the windows repair because the usb ports didn't work. And to get the command prompt there is an option for it in the advanced repair settings from the repair boot setting using the windows 8 disk.

I did enable usb at boot but it still doesn't work but more important than that is the fact that I cannot repair/reset my computer since it says a disk partition is missing.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:35 PM

At this point I'm not really sure what you have done, but you'll need to boot to a Windows disc, format and install. I understand you are having trouble doing that, so please tell us about the medium to which you are trying to boot.

Are you booting to a dvd or a usb stick? And is it an original, retail version of Windows to which you are trying to boot (where did you get it from)?

Also, did you originally have Windows 8 on the system? Why did you format the drive?

Edited by Allan, 09 September 2014 - 01:36 PM.

#8 leeisthebomb

leeisthebomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 05:27 PM

I'm trying to boot the Windows version from a USB Stick (Which the computer recognizes in the BIOS) and I believe that it is a retail version (got it from a friend who has Windows 8).

The system had no prior version of Windows or any other operation system loaded onto it so when I first installed Windows 8 it was the first time it had an operating system.  I formatted the drive because I turned on the computer after a few weeks of absence and no USB devices were being recognized nor the Ethernet cable (meaning the drives weren't installed) and I could not boot any USB since, as mentioned, the USB wasn't detecting anything.  With no way to delete the actual drive that I was on, I booted the computer from the Windows Disk, I tried to reset/repair/install windows 8 and it stated that I was missing a disk partition and so I went to the advanced settings, then the command prompt, and reformatted the drives with the command "/format C:" (/format D:) and once it had reformatted the drives and all data was deleted I tried to reset/repair/install Windows and it still stated I was missing a disk partition.

Is it just the harddrive's fault then?  Would bringing someone to reset the harddrive completely fix the drive issues?  

#9 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:11 PM

When you're being told that you're missing a partition, it's because you literally have no Windows partition to repair, as you have deleted/formatted everything, so there is only one option left to you, and that is a fresh install.

All is well in Paradise.

#10 leeisthebomb

leeisthebomb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

So you think that just bringing someone in to properly reset the hard-drives is the best idea right?

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:21 PM

I don't rightly know what you mean when you say

"to properly reset the hard-drives"

, but if you mean that you have someone who will go over and install a new operating system, then yes, that's what you need if you're not in a position to do it yourself.

All is well in Paradise.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:31 AM

Okay, here's the first problem. You need to obtain your own copy of Windows. If we continue to assist you with a "borrowed" copy (which your friend gave you) we are in violation of the Microsoft EULA, as you currently are. I suggest you purchase a retail Windows DVD.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:23 AM

I'm trying to boot the Windows version from a USB Stick (Which the computer recognizes in the BIOS) and I believe that it is a retail version (got it from a friend who has Windows 8).

Do you have a valid license to install Win 8?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users