Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard error, windows won't boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ihatehp1987

ihatehp1987

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:32 PM

Hello all and thank you in advance for any assistance.I have a HP 500 series desktop with windows 8, it froze during a update yesterday, I manually powered it down and I moved into a new apartment today, when I tried to start it now it won't boot.

At first I thought it was a problem with my new monitor because I was getting no display, however after restarting a few times I eventually got to a screen that listed all of my system information with the message " keyboard error" at the bottom. If I start with the keyboard unplugged there is nothing but a black screen, with the keyboard plugged in it goes to the same info screen with the error message.

The only thing I can do is spam the ESC key when I power on, this gives me a menu with boot options, system restore, diagnostics and continue start up. However if I select any of these it just goes back to a black screen. It is just over a year old and up until shutting it down yesterday I never had any problem, its very frustrating so I thank you for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GavinCarden

GavinCarden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 11:57 PM

Is this a wired or wireless keyboard? Also do you have a system recovery disc?

#3 ihatehp1987

ihatehp1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

Wired, I'm going to attempt to boot windows from a USB but I don't believe I can get past the boot screen

#4 GavinCarden

GavinCarden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 07:16 AM

If that does not work you can make a windows recovery dis from any other windows 8 machine. All you need is a blank DVD and some one who has windows 8 installed on a machine with a DVD Drive. The recovery disks are really the best option but bootable USB drives can work well too. once you get into the boot you will want to just refresh or repair your device. Also youmay want to try a Different keyboard just to rule that one out as being shorted. Its amazing ehat a short in a USB Cord will do to a boot proccess

#5 ihatehp1987

ihatehp1987
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the input but now I have a new problem. I was unable to boot from USB so I took it in to get repaired and it booted up perfectly every time until I got back home with it. I have never heard of such things but could it be my specfic monitor or keyboard preventing it from booting? I got a new power cable just in case but no luck.

#6 GavinCarden

GavinCarden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 09:33 PM

Also you may want to try a Different keyboard just to rule that one out as being shorted. Its amazing what a short in a USB Cord will do to a boot proccess

I have seen this happen many times

Edited by GavinCarden, 09 September 2014 - 09:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users