Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System recovery question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 curious_jack

curious_jack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:51 PM

Hi all,

I tried searching for an answer to my question but had no luck.

Hopping someone could help me out here!

I own a Sony Vaio that I want to take it back to factory settings by performing a system recovery.

Thing is, I don't have any external HD's on hand to backup my files.

Here's my question:

If I shrink volume C: and create a new partition (D:) to store my files, will that partition be affected by the system restore?

Will the system restore just go back to original settings including HD size and partitions?

Thanks a lot in advance to whoever tries to help

=)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:14 PM

I have never heard of anyone doing a factory restore like you described.  On my own Lenovo the manufacturer specifically state that if I interfere (resize) my partitions then I won't be able to factory restore even if I try to make the partitions the same size again.  I am guessing that it could be the same for you.  It would be risky to even touch the partitions without finding out definitely.  Have you checked with Sony support?

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:11 PM

Thing is, I don't have any external HD's on hand to backup my files

Depending on the amount of files you need to back up externally and assuming your laptop has a DVD drive, you could use dvd discs to burn data files. However which path you would take as always suggested is to take the precautionary measures of backing up externally for worst case scenarios. If you feel confident about cloud storage, there are free ones available for a minimum of 30 to 50 Gb but could take some time also with upload/download cases.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users