Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have a feeling my HD has failed - Need help confirming

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 johnboy2

johnboy2

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hey all,  New here.  Thanks in advance for help on this topic.

Background - My wife and I have the exact same PC.  A HP Envy DV7 running Windows 8.  After about 3 months it was determined that my HD failed.  So I ordered one, replaced it, and no problems since.

Fast forward to today, about 2 years later, and my wife's PC will start to boot but then when the password is given it starts to load windows but the start menu comes up for a second and then flickers and restarts and trys again to load the start menu, over and over to no avail.  It also looks like all the apps are not there-likely b/c it does not have enough time to populate them before flickering/resetting and trying again to boot, I started it in Safe Mode and it brings up the same general apps, not all the apps it normally brings up.  Then it just continues to flicker trying to pull the apps but can't.  I ran all the tests in the bios, tried to update the bios but said there wasn't a 'something' to update them with.  I have booted into safe mode.  It will not let me reset or refresh or troubleshoot and when I try it gave me an error code 80070490.

One other note...She has had windows freeze for the last year or so.  Meaning she will open a folder, drill down into that older to open a file, then go to close the folder and it freezes.  Te rest of her desktop and files and programs will still work so she just drags the frozen folder to her other screen and keeps on working.  Once several have frozen, she will restart the PC and keep on working.  

Any help is MUCH APPRECIATED...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnboy2

johnboy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:42 PM

One additional note:  All the tests in the bio's passed however I only did the short test on the memory and HD.

#3 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:02 PM

Do you have any Windows media, like an installation DVD, or recovery drive, etc?

All is well in Paradise.

#4 johnboy2

johnboy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

I do not.

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:39 PM

Lucky you, that y'all have identical machines, so you can make a recovery drive on a USB thumb drive, minimum 16 gigs.

In short, it will copy your recovery partition and make the thumb drive bootable.

Other than a song and a dance just to get it to boot, as Win 8 machines aren't cooperative about F keys, the recovery drive can offer you a system refresh or a complete OEM installation, like it was the day you bought it.

Is all the data backed up on the damaged machine?

Did you know that the free 8.1 upgrade is vastly superior to 8?

Do you have a 16 gig or more thumb drive to spare?

You won't be able to use it for anything else.

When you said that you ordered a new hard drive for your machine, was it an original HP for that machine?

In other words, was the system pre-installed on the new drive?

If not, then you might not even have a recovery partition, so I guess that's the first thing to do.

Right click on "Computer" and hit "Manage".

On the subsequent page, hit "Disk Management".

On that page, you'll be able to see if you have a recovery partition.

Are you tech savvy, like would you be comfortable removing your wife's HDD and temporarily adding it into your machine?

A lot of things can be done that way, like scanning the drive for virus or malware and doing a diskcheck.

If one of the two fixed the HDD enough that it would boot in your wife's machine, then she would have access to all the recovery features

All is well in Paradise.

#6 johnboy2

johnboy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

I am comfortable doing most anything hardware related.  Software related I am slloowwww...  Thank you for your help.

I honestly can not remember but lean towards it was a pre-installed hard drive that was sent. I believe it was from HP.

My wife's entire PC is backed up to carbonites paid service.  Maybe that can be utilized in a way.

I did not know about the 8.1 upgrade.

In 'Computer Management' on 'MY' computer, I have (6) items:
Healthy(Recovery Partition) 400MB
Healthy(EFI System Partition) 260MB
Healthy (Recovery Patition) 350MB
C: NTFS Healthy(Boot,Page File, Crach Dump, Primary Partition) 902GB
Recovery (D:) Healthy (OEM Partition) 27.87 GB
Recovery (D:) NTFS Healthy (OEM) Partition) 27.87 GB

I do not have a thumb drive of that size.  I have 20 gb open on my Note 3 phone.  Sure that wont help.
I can buy a thumb drive if I have to....

Please let me know the next steps to isolating my problem.  Thank you.

#7 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for nice & clear responses.

If it were me, I would take the bad drive and put it in your PC, just as a slave, not trying to boot from it.

If you don't have spare SATA data ports and wires, just swap the DVD wires to the HDD.

You don't have to mount it, as long as connected and won't fall over.

As mentioned before, a diskcheck might help and scanning for malware or virus' would be good too.

Do you have malwarebytes on your machine? If so, you can right click on the bad drive and MB will appear in the menu, offering to scan.

If you don't have MB, you can download it here.

When you're installing it, be careful to not land up with a trial version.

Once both jobs are done, you could try it in your wife's machine, to see if it did any good.

If so, then you'll have access to all the Win 8 recovery options.

If not, then we're back to making a recovery drive out of a USB thumbdrive.

On another note, if you can get it to boot, not only would you have access to the recovery partitions, but also to the 8.1 upgrade.

It's essentially a new installation that keeps your files, settings, programs etc.

I would think that would be a cure-all, except if the hard drive is damaged or full of virus'.

All is well in Paradise.

#8 johnboy2

johnboy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 08:59 PM

Thank you.  I will try that and let you know the results.  I have another hr to wait as my wife's HD is doing a long scan in the bio's in her computer.  Currently at 70%.

#9 johnboy2

johnboy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:53 AM

Well...Up all night and here is where I am now.

Bio's long/full HD scan passed

All the tests passed as well in the Bio's.

Switched hard drive to 'MY' computer so both were installed at the same time.

Ran malwarebytes and norton 360 - Passed both with no virus's to report - It found 129 in my laptop before I put my wife's HD in it-FYI

Ran disk check on 'HER' HD and said it was fine - or dint find anything

Removed my HD and put into HER pc and booted fine - no problems

Put HER HD into MY pc and same problem at start up.

Dug threw a ton of boxes and located my 3 disc recovery for windows 8 that came with the laptop

Got all the way to the end two different times and it said it did not work

I bought a thumb drive as well and downloaded the log file to it but it wont open on MY laptop.

Going to Best Buy to buy a new sata 500gb HD for 55.00 (Seagate) and am just going to install, use the 3-disc recovery, then use carbonite to get all the files back on to it.

Would you have gone about it differently?  Just curious, Am I correct to think buying a new HD is the best solution at this point?

Thanks again for all your help...

#10 johnboy2

johnboy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

Still need help guys....

Installed new hard drive purchased from Best Buy...

Immediately asked for disk or boot able devise to be inserted. 

I inserted recovery disk 1 of 3 and went through entire process again with the same results.... "The recovery attempt has failed. Select one of the following buttons: Save Log/Details/Retry" 

Please help me with whatever I am doing wrong or on detail step by step directions on how to copy my recovery from MY laptop onto the 32G USB drive I just purchased and steps on how to install on my wife's computer.

#11 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hey John,

All you efforts were called for and well performed..

I would have expected some results by now, but moving forward is the only real issue here.

I only have one Win 8 machine here as all the others are upgraded, so I'll have to get to it and work out the step by step details for creating the USB recovery drive. (8.1 is quite different to 8)

I should have something in 15 minutes.

Edited by rockysosua, 09 September 2014 - 06:31 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#12 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 03:40 PM

Control Panel> Recovery> Create a recovery drive.

PS:  It will be easy to do the job on your PC, as it's already up and running.

I don't know if you're familiar with getting to the recovery options, so here's the short of it.

Get the charms bar out and hit Settings, then hit Change PC settings.

On the subsequent page, hit the "General"  tab to the left, then scroll down to the very bottom of that page to "Advanced Start up" then hit "Restart".

When you get to the recovery options, there are three pages to choose from. One of them will offer to get you into the bios (UEFI) and that's where you'll go.(hit troubleshoot or advanced startup to change pages)

Once in the bios, choose the Thumbdrive as the first boot option, hit F10 and enter and take it from there.

Naturally, you'd have to plug in the thumb drive before going into the bios, so it can be identified.

Edited by rockysosua, 09 September 2014 - 06:31 PM.

All is well in Paradise.

#13 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

Any luck so far?

Questions?

All is well in Paradise.

#14 johnboy2

johnboy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:24 AM

Been at it all night again.  No luck so far.  Give me 5 min to recap what I have done.

#15 johnboy2

johnboy2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:39 AM

I was able to use your steps to get the recovery onto the thumb drive.

I then was able to get Bio's to boot from the USB drive.

I still had the new HD in my wife's laptop so I booted from the USB drive and then it asked for a language, then I selected refresh your pc, hours later and nothing, then reset your PC, hours later and nothing.

Went through it again and nothing.  Read online you have to have a copy of 8 on your HD for it to work and that 8.1 you didnt need it.

So, I switched my wife's old HD back into her machine and have tried restore, nothing, system image recovery-nothing, startup repair, nothing.

So Im assuming I am either doing something wrong or my next step is to try refresh or reset the HD on her original HD.  

What should I do.  Thanks in advance for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users