Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell PowerEdge 2950 - Possible RAID issues installing Windows Server 2012

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:55 PM

Hi all! I have just acquired a Dell PowerEdge 2950 which I am going to be using for VM environments and testing purposes.

The system has come equipped with a RAID controller which is the Dell Perc 6/i SAS PCIe RAID E2K-UCP-61 acording to the RAID card. 

i am trying to Install Windows Server 2012 on this server and when I initially booted from the Windows disk no disks where shows to install Windows onto, I assumed this would have something to do with the RAID configuration so I went into the RAID settings in BIOS and tried to change/setup a few things. 

There are now two disks of the same size running in RAID 1, they have been initialized etc and are showing the status as ready, this is all fine.

I have now booted back into Windows in the hope that the drive will now show, the two disks in RAID 1 are now showing as one disk, which is what I expected.

However...

Even though the drive is now showing during the Windows installation, and even though it will allow me to format, create partitions etc, as soon as i select the drive and press next to start the installation i receive the following error message:

"We could not create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information see the setup log files. 

I have looked around for this error and have found that the issue is just that I possibly need to load the appropriate drivers during the windows installation for the RAID controller. However, I cannot find the appropriate files, the only files i can find for drivers are executable which i cannot run from my current system as it says the OS is not compatible. I think i just need the base driver files that are not in an executable. Does anyone have a link to where i can get these or does anyone know of any other possible solution to get around this?

Thanks in advance!! :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 06:13 PM

You might have to download the new Dell install disk which has all the newest raid drivers along with other bios drivers etc etc.

Im assuming windows 2012 would need a new driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users