Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fedora 15 Constant IP Renewal Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zynthas

Zynthas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:57 PM

Hello, 

I work for a large company in Minnesota and support a product that utilizes an HP Z220 Workstation connected wirelessly to a customer network. 

The version of Fedora is: 2.6.43.5-2.FC15.X86_64
The wireless adapter being used is: Anatel (lite-on) WN7600R-MV

My question is this. Assuming the DHCP server/router/customers network is not to blame (which it probably is) and assuming there is no EMI present, what could cause the device to frequently renew its IP address with the server? Like I said, lets assume the router/DHCP service has a lease of 10 days. Our device is renewing, or attempting to renew its IP address with inconsistent frequency. Sometimes its only a few hours, other times its every 10 minutes. We have noticed that the frequency of renewals DOES NOT exceed 12 hours...however it varies from 10 minutes to 12 hours and everywhere in between. 

Just focusing on the software and possibly the wireless hardware, would anything in the software cause this? Would anything relating to the wireless adapter cause this? (Like I said, its most likely a server/router issue, but just humor me)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if you need any more details. Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

Hi :welcome:  BC.

Sorry to say but i doubt you will get an answer to that question here,

We do our best to help people with linux issues , However I do not think we have the Technical expertise needed  to solve this issue.

You might get lucky but I doubt it.

My suggestion would be the Fedora support forum http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/ .

Nick.

Edited by NickAu1, 08 September 2014 - 04:14 PM.

#3 Zynthas

Zynthas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:34 PM

@NickAu1

Thanks for the reply.  I also have the same thread open on the fedora forum website already.  

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:43 PM

You might want to run dhclient -v at the command prompt on the Fedora machine in question to see how long the lease is -- the output should contain a line that states "renewal in xxxxx seconds". Check to make sure the interval is not a short one.

Also, you may want to run dhcpdump and see how often there is an exchange of DHCP discover and offer packets between the computer and the DHCP server. It's possible dhclient is having trouble contacting the DHCP server from time to time and is going through the old leases in the dhclient.leases file and using one of those, and then reverting to a new lease when it does eventually get a response from the DHCP server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users