Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for help getting my M14x to perform at the level it should.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 internethandle

internethandle

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:09 PM

Hello BC,

I am new to the community so if I am posting in the wrong place please let me know and I will delete/move my post.

A few years ago I (stupidly) bought an alienware M14x. When it came I immediately had problems with it. The alienFX wasn't working properly and that was a bit of a bummer but much more importantly the computer would not run games or programs anywhere close to the smoothness it should be able to. I wrestled with Dell tech support but they essentially insisted that nothing was wrong with the computer and offered to have me send it in but said I would have to pay for the repairs and after reading horror stories about computers coming back scratched and damaged to heck I decided to just live with the problems. At some point early on I reinstalled windows 7 and all of the drivers at the recommendation of research I had done about it. This didn't seem to make it worse or better. Along the way I have had problems with overheating. World of Warcraft will run but with very low framerate, and trying to run games like team fortress two I get about 15 seconds into a round before overheating and powering down instantly. 

More recently I have started having many more problems with the computer. I make music using ableton live and if I'm working on a piece that has more than a few tracks with more than a few devices in each lane sometimes the CPU meter will jump up to 100% and audio playback becomes a horrible grinding sound. It has gotten worse and now I can really only work on music for a half an hour at a time before it starts to crumble. Music creation is my primary use for this computer. Then a few days ago I started having popping of audio when watching youtube videos and I basically can't even watch youtube anymore without constant stuttering. I use an NI Audio 2 DJ as my soundcard because of the music making.

I'll be the first to admit I am not the best with computers. I think someone more savvy would have told me right from the start this was not a good purchase but I was young and naive and I thought having high powered components on a computer that is advertised as being able to play some of the most intensive games of it's time at full settings would perform really well for everything I might want to use it for.

Any way you can help me figure out how to improve my situation here would be really freaking awesome as I'm at a loss for what to do and I feel like I totally got burned.

Thanks for reading,

internethandle

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2014 - 05:15 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

If you are having over heating problems, dust the computer out, blow air through the intake and exhaust ports. Most modern computers will throttle performance based on heat, which means you may suffer in games or process intensive tasks if heat is an issue. Gaming laptops should be dusted out far more frequently than regular laptops because they move more air which means more dust gets stuck in the heat sinks faster. Be warned that contiuned overheating will certainly damage components, even 1 time overheating a component can cause damage.

I recommend dusting out laptops and desktops at least 1 time a year if not 2. With gaming laptops/desktops at least 2 times a year would be ideal if not 3-4. You can use canned air or an air compressor, if you use an air compressor, use no more than 40psi and use short bursts of air to blow out the dust. Over speeding fans can cause them to shatter.

After you solve the over heating issue, re-test your games and if issues persist, then we will look for other issues.

Edited by zingo156, 08 September 2014 - 03:28 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users