Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possibly a hardware problem, laptop doesn't boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:35 PM

Hi, a friend brought around a laptop, it's an Acer Aspire 5783Z and runs Windows 7 I think.

It attempts to boot from the ethernet (looks like this) unless I press F2 (which is meant to be the bios key) which then causes it to boot from the hard drive. The computer does not boot properly however, as it goes into windows resume loader (looks like this). On both screen, any keyboard presses do not seem to do anything. When I attempted to boot from a CD causes a black screen with a cursor and then it beeps which is high pitched and continuous.

I then removed the hard drive and then pressed F2, this causes another ethernet boot screen which then fails and does the same beeping thing.

I'm willing to provide any information you need. I'm not entirely sure what the problem is, though I think it may be hardware.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:42 PM

Because of the high pitched continuous beep I might suspect a stuck key on the keyboard or faulty keyboard causing a problem, the fact that F2 doesn't go into bios if it should also might point toward a faulty keyboard. You could look for a youtube video on how to remove the built in keyboard and try to boot with a usb keyboard attached.

Edited by zingo156, 08 September 2014 - 02:59 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:04 PM

You can try to unstick stuck keys by running your finger over all of the keys a few times, in otherwords, press every key a few times and then reboot and see if the keyboard responds correctly. I would start by trying to get into the bios.

Edited by zingo156, 08 September 2014 - 03:05 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Topic Starter

• 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

Hi zingo156,

Thank you for your reply. I'll get working on this now :)

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

#5 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Topic Starter

• 6,086 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 10:55 AM

Hi zingo156,

You were correct, the usb keyboard works fine and I could go into the bios and change the network boot to be further down. Amazing how these things work.

I'll probably see if I can get the keyboard working, otherwise ask the user if they want to pay £8 for a new one :)

xXToffeeXx~

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 11:14 AM

Yeah those internal keyboards are dirt cheap these days and anything can happen to them, I have seen just 1 drop of water cause problems. Glad to hear you are getting further with the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users