Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD WebCam, I cant find it, but it is there.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DellW

DellW

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:04 PM

About a month ago I  bought an Acer Aspire (Aspire model E1-572) with windows 7. It has a built in webcam.

Since I recieved windows updates, I can no longer find the webcam. I contacted Acer online help center

and I tried all of their suggestions but nothing worked. They suggested I do a factory restore. Before I do this, I decided to ask here if there is anything else I can try first.  I know that I will get some reliable answers here. :idea:  I do not use the webcam but would like to be able to if the occasion arises. I do not know much about computers so please bear with me.

Here is the information I found out so far:

The Acer Crystal Eye webcam is named as HD WebCam on my computer.  (I dont know why)

HD WebCam properties say device is working properly

HD WebCam    Driver version =   6.1.7601.18208

(USB Video Device)       location =  0000.001d.0000.001.008.000.000.000.000

Device type = Imaging devices           Manufacturer = Microsoft

There is no icon on my desktop and it is not listed in my start menu.

As per instructions from Acer

I found it by going to...control panel...hardware and sound...under devices and printers enter device manager...when device manager loads select the "imaging devices" and enter...there is a tab that will tell you whether it is working correctly or not...there are options to update the driver in the driver tab.

(This is the only way I can find it and there is no option to turn it on or do anything with it.)

I tried to update it and message says it is already up to date.

It is there and it is working properly and it is up to date.

Why cant I find it? When I searched for it. It is Not there.

My question is how can I find this webcam and put an icon on my desktop so I can access it when ever I want to? :smash:     Should I do a factory restore?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.  :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DellW

DellW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

:offtopic:        I am not a male I am a female. LOL I dont know how to change this. Now I got it.

Edited by DellW, 08 September 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:55 PM

Hi, did you happen to asked the Acer forum if the laptop's webcam comes with a software to launch or test it independently if it's working or not? Try also typing webcam in your Start orb search box and see the results above if any webcam software would come up.

Tekken

#4 DellW

DellW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:19 PM

Hi BC Advisor

I had an online chat with Acer, they could not solve the problem. Acer advised me to do a factory restore.

I typed Crystal Eye webcam and HD WebCam also webcam in start search box and nothing came up.

I would rather not do a factory restore if there is another way to solve this problem. I went to a microsoft website and they have a driver download there but I am not sure if the website is official. It looked official but the

address in my browser said something else. I googled the site to see if it was legit and I couldnt find anything stating if it was safe or not. I decided not to take the chance. The site is called official-drivers.com

Edited by DellW, 08 September 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 12:41 AM

Try reading the suggestions that worked in this Acer community thread.

Tekken

#6 DellW

DellW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:01 PM

Hi again BC Advisor

I have tried everything in the Acer community thread.  I cant find the " download the latest acer crystal webcam application from the acer support site".

:bounce:    But I did make some progress today.  I went to a web site I found to test if my webcam is working.

My webcam is working I saw myself on there.

I read in the Acer Forums that there have been problems with Acer computers webcams. Many Many complaints.

I am not alone here. I also found  (by accident)  a tool in my computer to check my computers hard drive for errors.

I ran the check and there are no errors.

I am going to call Acer, I hope I find a rep who I can understand. LOL

BTW I really appreciate all of your suggestions. I am not very computer literate, I learn as I go.

Edited by DellW, 10 September 2014 - 03:05 PM.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:31 PM

Talk about customer support... and not knowing their products technically. :) It happens sometimes when you encounter agents that suggest better to reinstall as their best solution.

Tekken

#8 DellW

DellW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

Hello

Here is an update of what I did.

I saw this suggestion on Acer forums.

I went to a web site and downloaded free software to enhance my webcam.

No regestration or e-mail required for the free download.

This worked for me. Now I can open my cam through the software I downloaded.

The software has some great features and I can upgrade (purchase) at any time.

Now I wont have to ship my computer to Acer for repairs.

Thanks for all of your help.

:flowers:

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:40 PM

Glad to hear your all set. :) Thanks for posting back the solution. :thumbup2:

I went to a web site and downloaded free software to enhance my webcam.

Keep a backup installer also just in case.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users