Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HIGH Bandwidth usage on my router.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 redblade13

redblade13

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:20 PM

Hello I have a serious bandwidth problem in my router or laptop. I have dd-wrt installed and it says 100 gb of data have been used in the past 3 DAYS. My laptop says 2gbs in the past two days. I don't understand where the data is going. I have 2 more computers connected but they are off most of the time as well as mine.  For example, today I had my laptop off the whole day and it says I used 31 gbs already in the time span of 4 hours. I left home at 7 came back at 11 and boom 31 gbs gone. I know no one else is using my wifi since I change my password every week. My comcast bill is raising I need help ASAP please. I've used Malwarebytes and SAS. Malware doesn't find anything but SAS keeps finding adware tracking cookies. Malwarebytes doesn't find anything for my other laptop and pc besides SAS which keeps finding adware tracking cookies. Not sure if those can eat your bandwidth even with the laptop off. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum, due to the absence of malware logs in the topic.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:08 PM

Try opening up Resource Monitor on your computer, clicking on the Network tab and noting what processes are using the most amount of bandwidth, what ports are being used and the TCP connections that are open. Type resmon.exe in the search bar to open it, and let it run for a while to monitor your connections. Post back with the info.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:25 PM

What MODEM (manufacturer/model number) are you using?

#4 redblade13

redblade13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:16 PM

I'm using a Motorola SB5101 Surfboard cable modem

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:24 PM

That might be your issue. The modem is an older model and, according to Comcast, is only recommended for lower tiers of service. You might want to check here to make sure that model is compatible with your service level. http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

#6 redblade13

redblade13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

I'm using BLAST speed service and from the looks of it I do not see my modem on there. So my outdated modem could be causing high data usage? 

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:37 PM

The modem is an older model, it doesn't seem to be recommended for your service plan, and you've installed third-party firmware on it. So at first blush, yes, that appears to be the issue.

If you want to be sure, run Resource Monitor on all your computers and laptops and log the network usage, just to make sure there's nothing on your home network that is generating all that traffic. If the total bandwidth usage on all your machines is less than what the Motorola is logging over that same period, then it's definitely the modem.

#8 redblade13

redblade13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

The third-party firmware was installed three days ago because I had three months straight of high data usage. The resource monitor shows chrome.exe everywhere but only about 600(B/sec) is sent and 1100(B/sec) is received. The data usage on the resource monitor seems why lower than what the modem is saying. I'll replace the modem and see if the data usage goes down. If it is the modem then I will feel like a complete idiot :\. 

#9 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:50 PM

That model is 8 years old, if my information is correct, and after a while modems and routers will start to act up, sending out bad packets, etc., that can result in lots of unnecessary traffic. Plus, if Comcast doesn't support it for your service plan, there will be other issues as Comcast and/or the modem try to negotiate certain types of network traffic unsuccessfully.

Don't feel that way. These things happen. :(  Post back if the new modem doesn't solve the issue.

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:23 PM

You don't put dd-wrt on modems but on routers.  So what router are you running?

Most routers have bandwidth control which means you can log/monitor which device is doing all the internet talking.  Using the same utility you can also limit the amount of bandwidth so you can shut off internet before you go over your quota.

This, of course, depends on what router you are using?  Make and Model?

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:45 PM

Some of the things that run in/on chrome stay running in the back ground all the time, even when the browser is not opened. You said your laptop was off, was it completely off or just hibernating? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:48 PM

There is very good reason I asked for the modem information. Thank you for providing it.

I wanted to find out if it is a gateway (combo modem/router) unit.

Motorola SB5101 is not the combo unit.

Had it been a gateway unit I would have recommended checking to see if the unit is set up as an Xfinity hotspot, which means that other Comcast customers can use that hotspot for their internet access, which could be using the bandwidth.

It's highly unlikely the issue is caused by your modem.

You could post your issue in the Comcast help forum. Others have reported the same issue concerning bandwidth. You might get some ideas there about what is causing it.
If this is something you think you want to do, let me know if you need to know how to get to that forum.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 September 2014 - 04:55 PM.

#13 redblade13

redblade13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 05:57 PM

Yes I meant that I installed dd-wrt on my router sorry for the confusion. I use a Linksys/Cisco E900 router and it doesn't come with a bandwidth monitor that's why I installed dd-wrt. I installed the new modem it's working fine so far. I'll post tomorrow if my data usage is back to normal. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Thanks everyone for the advice. Fingers crossed it works.

#14 redblade13

redblade13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

OK sorry but the high bandwidth usage is still happening. Even with the new modem so far in 4 hours 9gbs of data has been used. I would like to know how to get to the Comcast forums Queen. Thanks.

#15 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:37 PM

Have you compared the numbers you are seeing with what Comcast has?

Just in case, sign in to My Account. My Services tab/Xfinity Internet.

Click View Details under your modem.

Unless it has been changed Comcast will give you 3 freebies, meaning if you go over they won't charge you for the extra bandwidth. After that they will charge you for it.

Comcast Help Forums.

Those Forums are provided to Comcast customers, and are a great resource for vendor specific issues. There are Forums for computer issues, email issues, security, internet, cable tv, CDV, billing, and customer service.
Many times we, the users there, can provide answers tech support and customer service can't.

Click the link below. The forum landing page will open. Click Sign In. Log in with your Comcast user ID (the part before .net) and your password. You will next see a first time forum users page, asking you to choose a screen name for use in the Forums. Once you set that up, you'll be taken back to the landing page. PLEASE DO NOT USE YOUR COMCAST EMAIL NAME FOR YOUR FORUM USER NAME.

http://forums.comcast.com/

Before posting, take a moment to read the Posting Guidelines. The link is on the top right hand side of the page.

Then choose the appropriate board to post in.

One thing to be aware of: By default you will be notified via email every time someone replies to a topic you have started or replied in. If you do not wish to receive the notifications you can disable them by clicking My Settings/Subscriptions & Bookmarks tab. Uncheck the box next to Automatically subscribe me to topics I participate in. Scroll down and click Save.

DO NOT USE THE UNSUBSCRIBE LINK IN THE REPLY NOTIFICATION EMAIL. Due to a quirk with Lithium, the forum provider, if you use the link it severs the connection between your forum user name and the email address you sign in with.

Result: your forum account no longer exists in the database and it tells you that you are banned.

(Once you get to the forum, save the page to your favorites/bookmarks. If you want to get to it from the Comcast home page, you have to jump through hoops to reach it)

Provide as many details as possible. Post your modem and router manufacturer/model. Include the link for this topic.

Take a look at the past couple of months usage and post that usage.

If it was normal and nothing has changed on your end something is for sure going on. For what it's worth, we have had others report the same problem.

Do me a favor, if/when you post there let me know in this topic and link to your post there. I'll monitor your topic and make sure it does not get overlooked. If needed, I can put out a call for someone to help you. If you have any questions about the Comcast forum send me a private message either here or there. My user name at Comcast is the same one as here.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 08 September 2014 - 11:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users