Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 "No Operating System Detected" will not run a windows disk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 henrywalsh9980

henrywalsh9980

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:42 AM

So, the comp fails to start, and claims, "No Operating System Detected"

I tried Kaspersky on it, it ran it from the disc, so I know the optical drive works. I am at my wit's end.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 henrywalsh9980

henrywalsh9980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

The error is, "Missing Operating System"

#3 henrywalsh9980

henrywalsh9980
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

The error is, "Missing Operating System"

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:00 PM

It sounds like the drive has gone bad, or the boot sector is corrupt. What is the make and model of your computer? Can you get into the BIOS and check the boot order? Make sure the hard drive is selected as a boot option, and that the BIOS can detect it.

Can you get to the recovery console? On most computers, you press F8 immediately at startup and select the computer repair option. In the recovery console, try the startup repair option first. If that fails to fix it, you can try running chkdsk /r X: replacing X: with the letter used by your hard drive (usually c:).

If that doesn't work, you'll need to open the command prompt window in the recovery console and follow these steps to try to repair the master boot record. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users