Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender good enough?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NotABot

NotABot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:13 AM

I was using Avast the last several years, but my new laptop came with Windows 8 (which caused Avast fits and took me forever to fix), and Avast seemed to be getting more and more bloated and naggy all the time anyway - so I removed Avast and allowed Windows Defender to be the only thing "guarding" my laptop.

Is Windows Defender currently good enough for that?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

Yes, however you most likely will get a variety of opinions.

Windows Defender on Windows 8 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Although it uses the same name, it is not the same as Defender in previous operating systems. Windows 8 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) and uses the same virus definition updates.

* Windows Defender on Windows 8 - Introduction and FAQs
* Windows 8: new and improved security features
* Windows 8 Security: Defender Antivirus
* Windows Defender and Windows SmartScreen

If you have not done so already, you may want to read: Choosing an Anti-Virus Program
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,000 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:27 PM

I found windows defender on windows 8 to be severely lacking in it's ability to scan downloaded files. Where most antiviruses let one right click on any file in a folder, be it one just downloaded or one that has been sitting on your hard drive for ages, and scan it, windows defender (on windows 8) doesn't do that. That is one of the main reasons i put AVG free on my machine instead. Also i think windows defender only does it's definition updates once a month, which is pretty low frequency.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:55 PM

Windows 8 Defender uses the same daily virus definition updates as Microsoft Security Essentials.

And you can use any of the following online services to scan downloaded/individual files:

#5 titan1

titan1

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

I would like to add that if you run MBAM pro along with windows defender and practice safe web surfing habits.Then there will be much less chances of getting infected.My brother is using his laptop for last 2 years with MSE (which is the older version of windows defender as quietman 7 mentioned) and MBAM pro,and he has never faced any problem with any malware.The best thing about windows defender is that it is completely native to the windows os and does it's job quite effectively.And whatever defender will miss,MBAM will take care of that.You can also run the free version of MBAM for on demand scans.Good luck.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2014 - 01:16 PM

Yes, no amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Earlier this year, Bromium published “Endpoint Protection: Attitudes and Opinions,” a statistical analysis of more than 300 information security professionals. The results revealed that endpoints are vulnerable, anti-virus is ineffective and end users are a weak link.

End Users Remain Biggest Security Headache as Compromised Endpoints Increase

2013 was a wildly visible year for cyber security and online privacy...And yet for all the visibility, punditry, and drama, new data suggests that internet users are still terrible at choosing a good password...

It’s 2014 And Our Passwords Aren’t Getting Better

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users