Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive says it's FULL. It is NOT!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Strype

Strype

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 02:01 AM

I have a Lenovo Y570 Ideapad with a 750GB Hard Drive. It is stating that I only have 1 GB of free space, when there is only about 60 GB worth of software installed. I am constantly receiving "Low Disk Space" messages, when I should have TONS of free space left. I have done hours upon hours of research trying to figure out what is causing this problem, and cannot seem to find the solution anywhere.

Many people who have encountered similar problems have fixed it by disabling Windows Restore and deleting the restore points, etc. This is not the problem for me. I have it entirely disabled and have made sure there are no restore points sitting around. In fact, absolutely NONE of the solutions that have worked for other people have worked for me.

I am completely out of ideas. Can somebody with advanced knowledge PLEASE help me? I have no idea what to do anymore and my computer is basically useless in this state. 

Please, please help me. 

Edit: Btw, I have run TreeSize, Spacesniffer AND WinDirStat (all in Administrator mode). None of the programs are able to indentify what is taking up the space. It just shows up as a gigantic chunk of "Unknown" space. 

Edited by Strype, 08 September 2014 - 02:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hedged

Hedged

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 06:16 AM

I would suggest you try running Scandisk as a slim possibility. In my opinion, it's a 'worst case' scenario, but when a hard drive starts getting bad sector errors, it tends to regard them as unknown, unusable sectors. I doubt it's the cause, but it's an avenue worth ruling out.

Running programs such as "sfc /scannow" at the command prompt, and "chkdsk" will help ensure the hard drive is clear of this.

I'm going to assume that the hard drive is not being overused as virtual memory, but can you confirm that you've run an anti-malware program or two, to ensure there's no virus or worm filling the hard drive with useless/hidden junk files? I've had this happen to me on several occasions over the years. The first time was caused by the Love Bug way back in the year 2000. I'd always recommend MalwareBytes anti-malware to check this.

Some systems have a separate partition for their restore points, and these are often hidden. Are you able to confirm that it's not a small restore partition that's full? Is it possible that the restore points have been removed, but the files have remained?

Please do keep me updated.

#3 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:39 PM

- How old is your harddisk, system ? Didi you buy & install a larger harddisk ? Perhaps the BIOS can't handle that much diskspace. Suggestion: Update the BIOS.

#4 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

Tree size will easily tell you where all the data is

All is well in Paradise.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 04:49 PM

The Tree Size idea is a good one...you can see exactly where drive space is being utilized, by what.

Louis

#6 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:03 PM

But he/she already has used the program ..................

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

If it's file system corruption causing a problem with free space to be incorrectly reported, then running chkdsk should help.  I have seen file system errors cause large amounts of free space to be incorrectly marked as in use, which were fixed by chkdsk.  To do this open an elevated command prompt (type cmd.exe into the search box and right click on cmd.exe and choose "Run As Administrator).

Then type chkdsk /r C: into the command line

The scan will run on your next restart. Note that it can take a long time to complete.  Repeat for any other drive letters which are on this drive.

FWIW I don't think the BIOS HDD size limitation is likely to apply in this case - the laptop seems to be from around 2011 and supplied with a large disk as standard.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 08 September 2014 - 09:32 PM

Before running the checkdisk command, please make a complete backup of all data. What checkdisk repair could do sometimes stalls on some unreadable sectors or area during the repari process and in some point makes windows not bootable, worst case scenario. By saying this precaution is due to not seeing the health report of your hard drive.

Tekken

#9 GavinCarden

GavinCarden

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 01:08 AM

Have you looked into or disabled volume shadow copy?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,880 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2014 - 11:34 AM

http://blog.windirstat.info/20061013/unknown-space/

Louis

#11 Strype

Strype
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:12 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I have most certainly ran several disk checks, from both the command prompt and upon reboot. It is not finding anything wrong with my hard-disk whatsoever. I have also ran several virus/malware scans, including deep scans from Avast, Windows Defender and Malwarebyte's AntiMalware. None of them are finding anything dirty. It is definitely not a simple matter of Temporary Files, Restore Points or Shadow Copies, as I would have figured this out on my own long ago.

I am normally very good at troubleshooting and solving PC problems on my own, and this is actually the first time I've ever had to resort to reaching out to a tech support forum due to being unable to solve the problem on my own. I can assure you guys that it's not a simple "lets help the newbie" type of fix. It's, unfortunately, something more complex, and I really appreciate you guys trying to help me out.

Below is a screenshot of what I see when running WinDirStat (as administrator). The massive Yellow block is the 644GB of "Unknown" space that my computer is completely unable to remove, delete or even identify.

Wind_Dir_Stat.png

This is also what I see when running TreeSize/Spacesniffer. Nothing seems to be able to identify it, and I certainly can't just "right click and delete it," as some have suggested. I'm honestly baffled as to what it could be. Any further help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#12 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:54 AM

Hi Strype,

Just a thought have you tried a Linux Live CD and mount the drive to see if that reveals anything

you seem to have tried every thing else

Good luck 

Hedge

#13 Strype

Strype
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:18 AM

That's one thing I haven't tried, Hedge. As familiar as I am with Windows, I am not very familiar with Linux, unfortunately. Would you mind explaining how I would go about performing such an action? Or perhaps pointing me to a website that could? At this point, I would be willing to try anything!

Thanks bud, I appreciate it.

#14 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:35 AM

Hi strype,

Yes give a couple of mins and i will try and find a reasonable link

(there are loads of people here who could do a better job But thay are all asleep,as should you looking at your local time)

But i will see what i can find.

Hedge 

#15 hedgeley

hedgeley

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2014 - 05:48 AM

Hi Strype,

To get you started this link

Win 7 will burn ISO's to CD/DVD or plenty others (image burn,infra recorder etc