Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive format incident??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cjay4

Cjay4

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:59 PM

I was having some issues with my laptop.

A friend decided there was one easy repair option which was to manually remove the hard drive, plug it into a hard drive to USB adapter unit and reformat it. After it was formatted (NTFS) it was re installed.

Afterwards we placed a boot CD of Windows 7 in the optical drive and upon install I received  a message which read;

"The drives/partitions are reserved".

Can anyone tell me what is happening here?

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:04 PM

At what point of the installation did you get that message?

For future reference, when you boot up from a Win 7 installation disc, you get the option to delete and/or format your hard drive, so it's not necessary to remove it to do so.

All is well in Paradise.

#3 Cjay4

Cjay4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:09 PM

I get to the install screen with options to format etc... it wont let me format or anyhting just relays that message to me.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:20 PM

You might be trying to install to the 100mb System Reserved Partition. I would follow steps 11 to 15 here. Delete all current partitions on the drive and then let Windows do the partitioning and formatting. This will automatically create the 100MB System Reserved Partition. If you need to resize and add partitions latter, you can use a partition manager like Gparted or Minitools Partition Wizard.

#5 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:22 PM

Did you click on "Drive Options (Advanced)"?

All is well in Paradise.

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 543 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

There is a reserved partition...

Microsoft® Reserved Partition (MSR)

The size of an MSR is 128 MB.

Add an MSR to each drive for drive management. The MSR is a reserved partition that does not receive a partition ID. It cannot store user data.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824839.aspx

Might be quicker and easier to wipe the drive to all 0's (low level format) You can use  Killdisk to achieve this. Make a bootable cd disk or usb drive and boot to the disk to run it in a DOS mode, Wipe the entire drive and all partitions

http://www.killdisk.com/screen.htm#win

Edited by Joe C, 07 September 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#7 Cjay4

Cjay4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:27 PM

@JohnC_21 Would that 100mb reserved partition still be there if we formatted the drive through a USB like we did?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:37 PM

Depends on how it was formatted. In step 12 10 of the link I posted, you will able to see if the 100MB System Reserved Partition is on the drive. If you see any partitions, just delete them. Windows will automatically add the necessary partitions and format them. At step 15 click the next button and that should be it.

Edited by JohnC_21, 07 September 2014 - 09:38 PM.

#9 Cjay4

Cjay4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:43 PM

I was actually a bit surprised. I figured that when we removed the hard drive and chose format as NTFS it would have erased all info on the disk, but when we went to reload the OS it had approx 6 partitions.

I went into the advanced options as ROCKYSOSUA had previously mentioned and deleted all partitions. It seems to be loading as expected now, but I will keep you all informed as to if this works out.

Thank you all very much for your assistance. I hope I am able to assist you in some way in the future.

Can anyone explain to me why format didnt erase everything as I would have expected?

Thanks again

#10 Cjay4

Cjay4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:45 PM

Thanks JohnC as mentioned I think it is working but I will let everyone know.

The way we formatted it was by heading into computer and right clicking on the drive  in question and choosing format. We did uncheck the quick format option.

#11 Cjay4

Cjay4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 09:59 PM

Ok that seemed to work.

My laptop is now up and running again with Windows.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

I have some work to do now in understanding what has happened here but that is the fun part.

#12 rockysosua

rockysosua

• Members
  • 772 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

When you connect an external hard drive to a Windows machine, it must conform to Windows rules, which in your case, included not deleting reserved partitions.

When you're doing an installation, you have free reign over how you set it all up.

In relativity it was just a tiny oversight that you didn't know that option would un-hide partition options.

I can remember the very same thing happening to me, in my beginner days.

All is well in Paradise.

#13 Cjay4

Cjay4
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2014 - 11:12 PM

I am trying to learn from ground zero so Im sure there will be many more oversights haha.

Do you know of any reference materials I can read up on maybe over the internet etc... in regards to these mentioned rules.

Thanks 

#14 kokomodrums

kokomodrums

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2014 - 12:09 AM

The real reason is that when you plug the drive into a Windows computer, Windows looks at all the partitions on the drive and "mounts" any of them that it "recognizes" to a drive letter. So when you right click on the "drive" in Computer and format, you are actually just formatting that one partition--all other partitions will remain intact. I hope that makes sense!

You can see all the partitions and wipe the entire drive using Windows' built in Disk Management utility.

-- Matt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users