Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome "Preferences Not Available" on Each Start of the Browser

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 nondenomifan

nondenomifan

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 07 September 2014 - 08:46 PM

I get the above message every time I open Google Chrome, no matter how many times I set my preferences before closing the program. Slowly, the bookmarks bar and my extensions load (lastpass, ADP, and Tumblr Savior), but the rest of my preferences aren't there, such as the opening page of Bing instead of a blank new tab.

Even after I sign in, my preferences don't appear. Oh, my specific bookmarks on the bar do, but I still have to go in and change my preferences.

This is progress, though, because the first few times I installed Chrome, I couldn't even get the sign-in page to come up from any of the links (pull-down menu, settings, or first invite upon installation). Just a blank page. Once I downloaded the offline install from the Linux side of my laptop and transferred it to the Windows side of my laptop, then I got it to install properly.

Apparently, as I learned through RKill and TDSS, I had a bug on my laptop called ICO.exe, and getting rid of that helped immensely with getting most of Chrome to behave, but I still have trouble with this stupid absence of my preferences upon startup.

Oh, I'm running Windows XP Pro SP3, and as far as I know, I'm completely up to date. (We just reinstalled a week ago yesterday, I then downloaded and ran SP3 [don't listen to anyone who tells you you can't get it anymore! it's called doing a search on the downloads page!], and sat and twiddled my thumbs as update notices came every hour or so, most of them containing approximately 20 security updates. I also had to download .NET Framework versions up to 4 (lots of security updates for 4!) in order to run a couple MS Fix-it programs. (You also have to twist yourself into a pretzel to get the Microsoft site to gift an XP machine with those, but it IS doable!)

Also of note, when I downloaded the ChromeSetup.exe on the Windows side, I did it via Firefox 32.0. I don't know if Firefox is still having security issues or not. I've been avoiding it like the plague ever since my mom and I both clicked on that, "Firefox seems to be running slowly. Click here for help," message in the lower righthand corner and got really bad malware. But, my friend, who is about as paranoid a tech as they come, loaded it on here, so I figured I could trust it.

I should also note that I am definitely being watched by the government. I made a post to Facebook the other day recommending "Terms and Conditions May Apply," which is something everyone online should watch, and I added, "The NSA isn't the only thing we have to worry about." I'd been posting a lot of anti-NSA things online, particularly on Facebook. After I made that post, though, all my Facebook posts were censored for two days. So, yeah. I'm being profiled. Don't know if that would have anything to do with all this, but that wouldn't really make sense because Google is one of their pawns, too...although Facebook is their official one.

Thanks for any and all assistance!

nondenomifan

StayCalmBeaFan_zps8e815800.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users